Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok. so this morn i put in 38 rear and 36 front on the M1's onthe 6R......
honestly i dont' know a dam thing about proper air perssure...

Right before the twists i adjust air pressure in the rear to be about 32 psi after my bud tells me tolower it...i forgot to adjust the front..

After about 30 miles of riding thru twisties today the tires were feeling fine . we stop (about 85 degrees today) immedaitely at stopping i check the rear and it's about 36.5 psi... i assume the hot day and twisy riding made the psi go up... right??

anyway we chit chat for about 4 minutes more i remember the front and ler some air out til it reads about 32 psi....
Riding after that .. the tires felt so flat and the bike felt so mushy???...slower in way.......... as if i had a really big contact patch and it was jut slowing me down and i was nto going over the bumps but as if the tires were just mucking their way through...

so my point and question is...

When do you adjsut air PSI during a ride?? immediately after u stop or after how many minutes after cool down...??

any suggestions on air psi for a 2000 zx6r for twisties?? i usually shoot for 34 front 36 rear...

·
Registered
333 Posts
I run my front 35 and rear 36 psi on my J2 with dunlop 208's and it feel fine.
set pressure on cold tyres

mfzx6r

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Always check and set your tire pressure before any ride, when they are COLD. I run about 38 psi cold in back and 32 psi cold up front. If you check your tires when they are warm, you'll get an inaccurate reading.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Originally posted by black

so my point and question is...

When do you adjsut air PSI during a ride?? immediately after u stop or after how many minutes after cool down...??
You don't. The tire pressures you set when the tires are cold will be good for when the tires heat up, and when they have heated up, there is no accurate way of measuring if the pressures are still correct.

I use 33 front, 34 rear (Bridgestones), whether for straights or twisties -- shouldn't matter on the road.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
maybe your guage isnt reading correctly. i never heard of psi going up.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Don't ever adjust the tire pressure on a tire that's not several hours cold. Check the pressure before you go, and make sure its at the amount you want it at, and then forget about it (unless you have a leak).

Tire pressures change as the tire gets heated up through frictional contact with the road. The hotter the road surface, the hardness of the road surface, and the aggressiveness of your riding style will all contribute to the tire heating up more and more. The hotter the tire gets, the higher the pressure will get in the tire.

Its perfectly normal to see the tire pressures jump up pretty big numbers, sometimes even a 10 lbs increase in normal riding during a hot day can be seen.

BC.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.