Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a question from a newbie. What is the life expectancy of motorcycle tires? I have 5k miles on my 06ZZR600 and my tires are showing no visible signs of wear and I frequently measure the tread depth with a tread depth gauge. I'm a mild mannered rider (no racing, wheelies, etc.). From what I've heard from other riders I should soon be replacing my tires with that kind of mileage on them. I don't know if the other riders are riding more aggresively than myself to cause premature tire wear. I don't want to risk my safety by running a set of tires for too long, but I don't want to waste money by replacing tires that don't need replacement.

·
Registered
181 Posts
those are the stock tires right.....they last quite a wile...when i pulled mine off they still had quite a bit a tread on em but i jus couldnt stand those crappy tires no more..so i switched em out and now they jus sit in my wash room colecting dust haha.i think u can get 7k-9k outa them if ur jus riden coo..

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I had 7,000 on the Dunlops it came with. Got 3,000 on the Pilot Powers and the tread is halfway down. Way more fun with the PP's.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Yeah depending on riding styles, road conditions etc. it's not surprising. If you still have the correct amount of tread and everything there is no need to replace the tires. No need to spend the mone unless you feel they are unsafe and or you'd like to try a different tire.

Considering it's getting cooler out I'd just stick with what you got and wait till the Spring to get new ones. Keep in mind when you get new tires they're very slick and will require some break in riding for the first few hundred miles.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
on my 500 I got 8,000 miles out of the rear...and the front was still good. Stock tires wear slower but don't grip as well. I have right around 5,000 mi on my zzr tires (dunlop stock tires), I got a nail in my front so I decided to just upgrade to pilot powers next saturday. You can get a lot of miles out of stock tires because they are a harder compound. Unless you want high performance tires you should be good for a while.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.