Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So im a hardcore noob and I bought these track tires from a guy that said the 180's would fit on my zx6r, so i got them put on. I rode with them for about 100km and i just found out that the chain is rubbing against my tire bc i can hear a noise and also i see the burnt marks on the side of the tire. My question is, can my mechanic somehow move the sprocket and chain a couple of mm away from the tire?? If yes what do i need to buy? or should i just find smaller tires and its totally not worth for me to keep these on?

·
Registered
135 Posts
They are the right sized tire, something is not lined up maybe the spacers are wrong way round.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just checked and my tires are 180/60/17, as for the chain adjustment i dnt know it was the mechanic that adjusted my chain, i just changed the chain and sprocket like 1 month ago.

·
Registered
135 Posts
what year is your bike

·
Registered
160 Posts
Something can't be aligned right, because obviously that shouldn't happen. A 180 tire is the correct size for that year, so something is off. Unless your chain is ridiculously loose, there is no way it will swing over and bump against your tire. Just a visual at my bike, it looks like there is about 1/2 inch between the chain and tire.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Sounds like whoever had the wheel off last switched up the spacers

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ya there is about half an inch between the tire and the chain, and the chain is not loose, i checked the slack and its freaken tight like an 18 yr old girl. So any ideas what is rubbing against the tire??

·
Powerhungry
38,189 Posts
ya there is about half an inch between the tire and the chain, and the chain is not loose, i checked the slack and its freaken tight like an 18 yr old girl. So any ideas what is rubbing against the tire??
chain is too tight!

do you have a rear stand? lift the rear tire, and rotate it by hand, see if its rubbing.

you know what, check the undertail. a 60 is taller than oe size. is the bike lowered at all? it may be rubbing the undertail.

but, either adjust that chain correctly. or take it back, and have it done. you're going to wipe out the countershaft bearing. if not worse.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok i will definitely make the chain looser, i was wondering why it was so tight like that?!?! it doesn't even budge when i try to move it. Also no my bike is not lowered.

·
Registered
160 Posts
ok i will definitely make the chain looser, i was wondering why it was so tight like that?!?! it doesn't even budge when i try to move it. Also no my bike is not lowered.
Should be decent slack, like 1" or maybe a bit more. And are you sure it is the chain rubbing on the tire and not the tire bumping something else? I have a sub-cage on my bike, and I had a girl on last year and hit a decent bump and the tire rubbed up against that. If there is a 1/2" gap between your tire and chain, your chain shouldn't be touching it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Like i said im a noob so i dnt know what a 1inch slack is but all i can say is that when i try to move the chain it doesnt move at all, its on TIGHT, like a 12 year old boys ass.

·
Powerhungry
38,189 Posts
Like i said im a noob so i dnt know what a 1inch slack is but all i can say is that when i try to move the chain it doesnt move at all, its on TIGHT, like a 12 year old boys ass.
1" is still tight.
you want about 1.5"-2".
grab the chain in the middle, the bottom section, and push it up, and down. thats your slack.

and who put the tire on? they obviously dont know wtf theyre doing.

·
Registered
135 Posts
the wheel spacers? take wheel off switch the spacers round and try again

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There is no slack at ALL, ill have to bring it to a diff guy then lol and ill have to look into the spacers also, thx guys.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
On my streched zx10 my chain is hitting my tire making teeth marks in the tire. Is there anyway to stop that?
You need to check to make sure the chain is evenly adjusted on both sides. If someone adjusted just one side then the wheel would sit cockeyed in the swingarm and the chain would rub.

There's also: tire size, damage to swingarm extension, extension installed wrong, missing spacers for wheel, wrong sprockets off the top of my head.

Did it happen before the bike was stretched?

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
45,114 Posts
1" is still tight.
you want about 1.5"-2".
grab the chain in the middle, the bottom section, and push it up, and down. thats your slack.

and who put the tire on? they obviously dont know wtf theyre doing.

This x100

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Oldie, but I just wanna know why dude would use a young boys asshole diameter as a comparison to chain slack.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts