Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, My question is about sizing on the front tire. What are the pros and cons on a little bigger or a little smaller tire. For instance the stock size for the 06 zx363df is 120/65 zr17. My question is if you had a 120/70 zr17 or a 120/60 zx17, what would the differences be and what would help or hurt for performance. Im currently in Germany in the military and don't track here but the roads are much more demanding of the roads in the states with switchback after switchback and of course the high speeds of the autobahns that make a large swooping curve feel like a track at 160+ mph. Im just wondering which tire would benefit more because im looking at the pilot power 3's and they don't sell a 120/65 zr17 so my only option is to either go a little bigger or a little smaller. Ive heard that a 120/70 will create a slightly larger traction patch in deep curves on a track but wouldn't that tire possibly hit the fender and cause problems with out some type of fender designed to handle more tire?

·
Registered
385 Posts
I've had all three, a new old-stock 120/65 oem, a 120/60 and a 120/70, and after 94,000 miles I can say I've noticed a real difference between them. I've not had any fender touching, but I've not tracked the bike.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had all three, a new old-stock 120/65 oem, a 120/60 and a 120/70, and after 94,000 miles I can say I've noticed a real difference between them. I've not had any fender touching, but I've not tracked the bike.
Thanks. I'm not biased to any opinions from a track or street rider. My one concern is that If I go with the smaller tire I might lose a little traction at greater lean angle. I don't go past 45 deg. lean angle here on streets generally so i'm not too concerned but I just want to make the best assessment I can before I buy!

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
I'd say the vast majority of people run 120/70. They're the most abundant and work perfectly. Go with that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
if you change the front size from 120/65 to 120/70 you must change the setting of the fork.
Here in italy, usually on the track bike we use the 120/70 obbligatory, but in the street bike, we use the new pirelli tyre, Diablo Rosso Corsa at the front.
The pirelli produces this size (120/65-17) from a few month..

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
if you change the front size from 120/65 to 120/70 you must change the setting of the fork.
Here in italy, usually on the track bike we use the 120/70 obbligatory, but in the street bike, we use the new pirelli tyre, Diablo Rosso Corsa at the front.
The pirelli produces this size (120/65-17) from a few month..
No, you don't HAVE to change any fork settings with a slightly taller tire. Change the tire, then ride. That's it.

People need to stop comparing apples to oranges. The OP is riding a street bike, not fine tuning a race bike. Stop giving bs advice.

·
1,905 Posts
99% of the guys we know go with the 120/70 and ride.

Of course, make sure there is clearance with the fender, but we haven't heard of any issues.

·
Registered
10 Posts
No, you don't HAVE to change any fork settings with a slightly taller tire. Change the tire, then ride. That's it.

People need to stop comparing apples to oranges. The OP is riding a street bike, not fine tuning a race bike. Stop giving bs advice.
are you sure? ok..
what about slip out fork?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The reason I worry about the 120/70 is because on my old 636 (2005 "c1") I was running on a 120/70 and it rubbed the back side of the front fender a little and the forks were not changed or adjusted except for a little preload and rebound which wouldn't change the distance from the tire to the fender.

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
43,562 Posts
The reason I worry about the 120/70 is because on my old 636 (2005 "c1") I was running on a 120/70 and it rubbed the back side of the front fender a little and the forks were not changed or adjusted except for a little preload and rebound which wouldn't change the distance from the tire to the fender.

I run a 70 on my '05 636 but I don't have the "C1"....:dunno:.... 65 is the stock. If you go to a 60 you'll notice the bike will dip into turns more quickly. Nothing drastic but it is noticeable, to me anyway. Conversely going from a 65 to a 70 will feel like you are tipping in a hair slower. Again, not drastic but noticeable. There is no harm in running any of them...

I went from a 70 to a 60 on my R1 (no 70s in stock) and the difference was very noticealble in turns but you just get used to it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I run a 70 on my '05 636 but I don't have the "C1"....:dunno:.... 65 is the stock. If you go to a 60 you'll notice the bike will dip into turns more quickly. Nothing drastic but it is noticeable, to me anyway. Conversely going from a 65 to a 70 will feel like you are tipping in a hair slower. Again, not drastic but noticeable. There is no harm in running any of them...

I went from a 70 to a 60 on my R1 (no 70s in stock) and the difference was very noticealble in turns but you just get used to it.

Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts