Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, Im about to buy a new Kawasaki Ninja 250R (2011) white ... my question is ... should I go with the stock tires? and then should I buy of the same size(front 110/70 rear 130/70)? or you recommend me to buy them wider(front 120/70 rear 150/70,150/60, etc)? and another question is... I read that when you buy tires or a new bike the tires are slippy... how true is that? and how do I prevent it... because I dont wanna be falling and crashing my new bike in the first 5 minutes im riding it! And I really dont understand the BIAS or Radial thing... whatever that means... which one is the one I should buy? Im going to be using the bike just for going from my home to the school and back home...
As the noob I am, I dont wanna put myself in danger... so I dont wanna affect handling... However I read that because of my weight and height it wont matter that much (the pinching of the 150/70 tire in a 250R rime) My measurements are 128 pounds (Around 58kg) and 5ft7in (170cm) ... Whats the best call for me? Remember ... IM A NOOB

P.S. : Yes I've been copy-pasting my own message... because I want an answer

· Registered
401 Posts
No no on copy pasting.

All I'm going to say is. search. you want an answer bad enough, all you need to do is search to see if you can get your answer.

Simple blunt truth. Enough said.

· Registered
28,587 Posts
new as in 0 miles? you won't need a set of tires for many thousands of miles.

stock size. putting wider tires on a narrower rim than they were meant to distorts the manufacturer's intended profile an adversely affects handling

handling: radial > bias
ride quality: bias > radial.

you want radials

· Registered
2,955 Posts
Beat on the stock tires. Just make sure that you don't try to take corners ridiculously tight at first for at least the first 50 miles. The tires are typically coated during the manufacturing process so that they prevent cracks while sitting on the showroom floor over long periods of time.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its because I've read some people say the nimble (which is characteristic from the 250R) is lessened and the handling improves in corners and that kind. Well got a good enough answer to convince me not changing sizes (until I get much more experience), what about the tires being slippy? You know anything? because I saw a vid of some dude getting his new bike out of the store... and then the rear tire just slipped and next thing was his face was on the floor... poor guy, but I dont want to end up like that.... Is that true? Or just some b***sh** someone said to try to explain why he fell?

· Registered
11 Posts
I can't wrap my head around why somebody would replace brand new tires before they have even tried them. And, as TGM6 said, just go easy for 50 miles or so and they should be fine. They won't suddenly slip out for no reason.

· Registered
28,587 Posts
Its because I've read some people say the nimble (which is characteristic from the 250R) is lessened and the handling improves in corners and that kind. Well got a good enough answer to convince me not changing sizes (until I get much more experience), what about the tires being slippy? You know anything? because I saw a vid of some dude getting his new bike out of the store... and then the rear tire just slipped and next thing was his face was on the floor... poor guy, but I dont want to end up like that.... Is that true? Or just some b***sh** someone said to try to explain why he fell?
was that dude on a brank new GSX-R1000 or something? most likely he was a new rider and didn't have any business being on the bike he was on. cold tires, cold pavement, and too much throttle.

the most important thing is to get heat into the tires. if the tires are properly hot before you tip it into a corner you will be fine. don't worry about no 50 miles as long as the tires are up to temp

· Registered
18 Posts
I honestly wouldn't worry too much about the tires. You've said yourself that you're a newb, so the odds of you pushing the bike hard enough to get the tires to let go is pretty slim. I'm thinking it's way more likely you dump the bike. Just be careful and don't pay too much mind to the tires.

· Strat - the Asian edition
12,887 Posts
I think its the fact that I want it to look cooler, but I'm a noob that doesnt know how to handle a bike, so I cant pick up another ride.....
you want your bike to look cooler so you look to getting new tires? :confused:

Either ways, you shouldn't be riding anywhere near the point where you'll encounter problems with the stock tires.

Stop focusing on trying to look cooler and worrying about your stock setup, and start worrying about learning how to become a better rider.

· Overwhelming Splendidery
13,506 Posts
The stock tires on the 250 are more than adequate for a new rider. I still have them on mine, with 7000km on them so far, and they haven't let me down yet... and I don't imagine you will be pushing the bike as hard as I have in your first season.

Ride safe man.

· Registered
60 Posts
Stock tires are fine. I've done a track day on stock IRC tires, and they grip well enough for a noobie like myself. Lean it pretty much all the way to the edge of the tires. There's about half an inch left from the edge on both sides that didn't touch pavement.

· Registered
57 Posts
yeah man you really dont need new tires for atleast a couple thousand miles, the stocks are good for beginners theres no doubt about it, after you get comfotable and start taking turns faster you can feel the limit of tires then thats when you upgrade, but you dont have to get a 150 you can get the same size just better quality....just my opinion hope this helps

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.