Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all,just bought a 99 zx6r and love it,how strong are the clutchs on these bikes as i would love to take it down the dragstrip but cant afford a new clutch if it shits itself?also will a k&n air filter by itself improve its performance and where[bot,mid or top?]thanx for reading this,all replys welcome.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
A K&N will help you get more air into the engine, but w/o an exhaust that can get that extra air out it is not going to help you much. Your best bet is an air filter, jet kit, and a slip-on or full exhaust. That combo. will help you throughout the whole powercurve.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Your stock clutch will be fine. Prior to my '03 ZX-6R, I had a ZX-12, which I dragraced regularly. I made 182 passes on the stock clutch pack. The ZX-6, because of the SS racing intent has a very good clutch from the factory. If you get serious about launching the bike (you'll need 10k+ to make really good times), and drag it regularly, be prepared to replace the clutch pack once in a while. You won't break anything unless you do something really stupid.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Do a search about the air filter issue. There are some that seem to think it helps. Others agree that K&N is no better than a factory air filter.

·
Registered
47 Posts
i heard K&N air filters are overrated, never had one personally maybe ask someone who is in the know. the guy i spoke to seemed to know what he was talking about but i dont know how much experience/ qualifications he has/ had. just get a cheaper generic one, all the filters i saw were like half the price of the K&N, do your research then strap one on.
Glenn

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
On the K&N point..
Some of us feel it helps, some of us don't, but we pretty much all agree it won't help at all, and could possibly lose some power, if you just put it on and do nothing else.

The problem is if it flows more air, the exhaust will not be able to handle more flow, so you dont get any gains, and can actually lose power.
So if you add a new exhaust system on, you'll get more flow, but you'll probobly be running to lean or too rich now, so again you will lose power, unless you rejet/remap the bike.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I don't think you will have a problem. just go over the bike and make sure it will make the run

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.