Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there im new here and im buying an 06 .. so it will have an exhaust system,filters, commander and a 50 h.p. shot of nos. now i like to wheelie and acceleration but i also want top end power. so Im thinking ill order a gear anyhow and try out to see what i like better. so what would be best gearing? 1 down in the front or 1 or 2 up in the back?

Thanks

·
Registered
341 Posts
cheaper to drop a tooth up front. It's like adding 3 to the rear. I just picked mine up today and ordered a 15 and 16 front to try out...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Why do you say the 15? Doesnt it seem to be wheelie happy? Is it still good for drag racing with that setup? Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
976 Posts
in stock form the 04,5 and 06 10's can hit 102mph at the top of 1st gear, so yea they feel anemic but the fact is there not even with this setup. A 16t is used by many but a 15t is forcing a very tight radius for the chain to cope with so good luck with it.

BD

·
Registered
341 Posts
Honda's come stock with 16's, everyone switches to 15's because 14 is too tight so we go up in the rear after that. Unless there's something I'm missing 15 is fine.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Originally posted by NavyMac
Honda's come stock with 16's, everyone switches to 15's because 14 is too tight so we go up in the rear after that. Unless there's something I'm missing 15 is fine.
this isn't a Honda and going down to a 15t from a 17t is xtreme just as going down to a 14t from a 16t on the Honda is but hey do as you please.

BD

·
Registered
103 Posts
Doesn't matter what brand. They all come with the same size chain and that is where using a sprocket that is too small will get you. 15 is fine!

·
Registered
22 Posts
IMHO unless you are in the circus there is no need to go down 2 in the front (from 17 [stock] to 15) - that's like going up 6 teeth in the rear. you'll be waaay to friggin busy shfiting gears with that set up.

but try it out and report back to us. :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have -1 and +2 and this thing accelerates like i was shot out of a cannon. Pretty easy keeping on two wheels as long as your careful. Not really into top speed as i am accel, but hit 140 today @ about 8500 to 9000 r's in sixth. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
341 Posts
-1 +2 is very similar to -2 up front. After going to the drag strip last night this thing NEEDS some gearing. And seriously- cruising all day on the highway in 2nd?

·
Registered
976 Posts
similar yes but with a twist as both sprockets are being changed as opposed to just the front and if your cruisin freeway speeds in 2nd i feel sorry for your bike:(

BD

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.