Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, posted this topic a while ago but never got round to checking it, what are you guys thoughts on strapping a turbo onto a ninja. was after something a bit quicker to a 600 but a bit different. anyone seen it done before?, any negative effects ie, engine wear, reliability? what about when boost kicks in, will going places turn out just to be a mono-fest? any ideas about cost? commoents anything everything.
Glenn

·
Registered
446 Posts
From what I've seen the average cost of a good turbo kit is around 3-5,000(US). The more complete the turbo kit the higher the cost. The main draw back of a turbo is this: The compression ratio in most bikes start out so damned high that it requires the use of 97 octane fuel. Adding a turbo just compounds this issue and forces one of two things. Either you reduce the static compression to a point that with the turbo 97 octane is safe. Or you use race fuel with a high enough octane that is safe. Now I don't know how much race fuel costs over there, but at somewhere from $2.50-4.00 is more then I want to pay for gas.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
there was a post awhile back about a guy building a turbo kit for his zx-6r...maybe he can be more help...he was pretty far along in the project if I remember right...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.