Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been riding motorcycles for the last 18 years, and have recently been riding sportbikes. My problems seem to come from my size-6'1" 270 LBS and my appetitie for extreme speed. I find most middleweight sportbikes to be a bit cramped and slow. The Kawa is one of the only bikes I have not ridden. I prefer the 360 LB weight range and am reluctant to go to the Litre bikes because of insurance and other costs. My question: Does anybody here (who is my size or bigger) get along well with the ZX6R? Will it pull me well? Will it power-wheelie? I really like the look of the 636 and hope to get some advice.

SVrider

·
Registered
768 Posts
I've seen some big men on little bikes.

Yes it will wheelie. The nice thing about being heavier is you can move more weight to control the bike. So if you want to wheelie just lean back some and it will help it more than me leaning back.

Dan...comfortable enough with his manhood to ride a 600.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
5'11" 225lbs. No problems for me. After a while, the bike starts to feel small, but they all do once you get used to them.

-gary
'02 6R

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I want to thank all of you for your help. What I am hearing is that these bikes can handle the larger riders and just take some getting used to. I felt that way on the SV and CBR. Another good point was made by Gary, who stated that after one gets used to it, the bike will feel small. I think that is true. Also, after a while one gets used to the speed and they feel slower. I just want to make sure I do not get into something that I will outgrow too quickly. Any other comments are welcome.

Keep the rubber side down

SVrider

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
i can power wheelie my 02 zx6r in first gear..

I'm 5'11" about 220 lbs

I just sit straight up, rev it to about 6-7 grand, chop the throttle, then grab a handful of it a split second later (uses the front to help bounce the bike up) and whamm, nice smooth power wheelie.

the 636 should do it even easier, and you could drop a tooth in front to gain alittle more wheelie potential.

to be honest my bike feels like it flys with me on it, I never notice it struggling at all due to weight...

My Drinking Team Has a Racing Problem!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm 6' 1 1/2" 305 and I must tell you that as 600s go the zx6r is the best, but honestly its a bit cramped and I'm going to be upsizing... I tried relocating the rearsets and it didn't help

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'm 6'3", 200lbs and am actually pretty comfortable on my 6R. The reach is good and my legs don't feel cramped. I would suggect riding two-up though.

Diirk
'99 ZX6R
'02 Raptor
'01 Wolverine
'87 Radian

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hell, I'm 6'3" tall, and weigh in at 265 lbs. The 6R is a very spacious bike for me. I've thought of upgrading, but I can't stand the R1's, 954's and Gix's small, crampish styling. I was going to go to a ZX-12r, but too heavy of a bike, and I can flick my six anywhere I want it. I just decided on upgrading everything I can to get a little extra juice. Once my new full system (akrapovic) is on and jetted right, I should do just fine.

Rubber side down!!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I RIDE A 97-6R AND IM ABOUT 6FT AND 200LBS IM PRETTY FAST ON MINE WHEN I WANT TO BAIL OUT TRUST ME NOBODY CAN KEEP UP BIGGER BORE BIKES ARE FAST AND WILL GIVE SOME COMPETION BUT EVERYBODY HERE IN PHX IS ON AN R1 OR SOME TRENDY SHIT I RARELY SEE ANY BUSA'S AND IT'S USUALY THE SAME DUDE ON IT ANYWAY, THE SIX IS A FAST BIKE AND ONCE YOU GET TO KNOW YOUR BIKE OTHERS WILL BE SUPRISED BY IT.

·
Registered
6 Posts
IM 6-3 240lbs and I have not had a problem with my 99zx6r.I used to ride a 82kz1000 and I am right at home on both.The zx will smoke the kz and alot of other sportbikes around my town.I think the extra weight helps the traction.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I am 5'7" and weight 160 pounds and my bike feels fine for me. Just thought I share on the discussion:D:D

Let Saddam come and play!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hola,

Sorry to input in metric units but I am not familiar with American measures. 1.82 mts tall and 95 kg and no problems with the bike. Only problems are caused by end of fairing that hits leg when moving the bike backwards.

Carlos

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Carlos, that makes you a hair under 6 feet tall and roughly 209 pounds. The conversions are cm x 0.395 to inches, and kg x 2.2 to pounds. Sounds familiar, I'm 6'1" 215.

"Keep yer feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked."

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.