Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well it seems as if the tables in my life have turned ...

i remember the days i used to look down upon motorcycles & now rising gas prices has caused me consider it So in a time where so newness is definitely needed in my life, i just bought a Kawasaki ex500 and it'll be here in 2 weeks!!! The only downside to it is that its all black, nothing wrong w/ the color because i prefer black ... but im kinda worried abt bein seen at night. Guess i just gotta be that much more careful... I have no experience whatsoever on a bike & im scheduled for the MSF class at the end of the month!! Definitely lookin forward to learnin somethin new! I want to learn everything there is to know!!! So my FIRST question to the people ...

what are some good helmet brands that yall would recommend?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Congrats on the bike! it was my first as well. I took the msf course in august 2005 and got the bike new (ex500 2006 red), the very next day. I Took it to work on the highway (75 mph) the next day- 20 miles. You should have seen the smile on my face. I left for work early, So i could avoid traffic. I had the entire highway to myself on my brand new bike, it was quite a feeling. I was alittle nervous going home, but I left early (to avoid traffic) and found the bike was very easy to feel comfortable on. I too was tired of riding my truck to work, which only got 17 miles per gallon. The cost savings was pretty substantial, the bike actually was paying for itself. That alone was enough for me to ride everyday, rain or shine or cold. The bike is the perfect commuter bike, although I might purchase some handlebar risers to adjust my seating a little.
As for helemts, I have an icon mainframe full face, its comfortable and has good peripheral views, it was a little noisy at first, but I had the vents adjusted wrong and that seems to have corrected the problem. Good luck with your new bike, ride safe.
Maybe get a bright jacket to improve your visibility.:)

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
look into scorpion- they are just as good as an arai or shoei at a fraction of the cost:
http://scorpionusa.com/

congrats! i'm looking forward to seeing you around on the forum! stay cool in the heat, mate!!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
damn and i was really lookin @ puttin down the money for a shoei ... these scorpions look just as good!

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
i have an arai quantum. it's a $700 race replica helmet. don't get me wrong, i love it, but i've worn the scorpion kevlar helmet and it feel the same. my boyfriend has one and he says it's as quiet as his arai was. i honestly don't think you can get better bang for your buck. i know the hjs cl-15 is cheap, but it's loud and not very well vented. the scorpion is just as cheap and about a thousand times better!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I just finished my msf class a week ago and bought my brand new 2006 red 500ex on thursday, its coming TOMORROW! Oh yeah, quite excited so I know where your coming from :). Prior to the msf class I had no experience on a bike;it really helps teach you the basics and make you feel comfortable.

As for helmets, I bought a icon alliance ss helmet. Its very comfortable and allows for good air circulation in the helmet. I'm boring though and went with rubatone black over graphics

·
Registered
875 Posts
I have an arai astral ($400), originally wanted the scorpion myself, as I heard great things about it and the price is awesome, but it was a bit tight on the forehead and made my head hurt. My astral fits perfect on me, is light, and has great venting.
Try a bunch on and go with what fits your head best.... if it doesn't fit right, it can't protect you to its full potential

MSF is a great class, and the 500 is a great bike to learn on, I just got one myself as my first. Have fun and ride safe.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
i agree. i have a "japanese" head (i.e. round like a cherry) so the quantum fits me pretty good. the scorpion seems to feel similar- still a little big in the chin area, but nothing like the hjc i used to have. that puppy was made for AMERICAN heads!

the one really nice thing about arai is that the quantum, astral, and corsair models are actually shaped differently for different head shapes. with the hcj & scorpion models- if their mold doesn't fit your head, you're pretty much screwed. i don't know too much about shoei (the extra small they make is too small for my head and the small is too loose) or soumy (maybe spelled incorrectly, i've never even tried on on).

my dad wears an icon and loves it, though the venting is not the best in the humid ohio summers. he usually leaves his visor open a crask to get the moisture out.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I agree with scorpion, low priced but not cheap. as you have read, so far they have great reviews. About your all black bike.....you might want to consider some custom graphics or reflective vinyl to make you stand out abit a night. or just don't ride at night (like that's going to happen...lol). Anyways congradulations and welcome aboard.

·
Registered
140 Posts
AGV Helmets are really good if you got my money to spend, I went down at 140 on an f41 and I didnt even get a headache, but I'm currently wearing a scorpion and i hope i dont have to crash test it[:M35]

·
Registered
31 Posts
sorry, but whats an f41? is that 140 miles per hour? what exactly did happen to you when you fell that speed? were you wearing leathers? i'm a noob and that crash sounds pretty intense for someone who rides a 250.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Congrats people on the new bikes! Warning: If you're the type of anal person that'll actually follow the break-in recommendations, like me, the break-in period suxs!!! Fortunately, it does pass. Good luck!!!

BTW--I've got a HJC CL-14. Plain, ordinary, loud, a bit of drag when not tucked behind the fairing, but reasonably priced.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Originally posted by jon_peckham7
sorry, but whats an f41? is that 140 miles per hour? what exactly did happen to you when you fell that speed? were you wearing leathers? i'm a noob and that crash sounds pretty intense for someone who rides a 250.
F4i = Honda cbr 600 f4i

I was fully geared and was racing my friend through his ghetto "private track" his daddy built on his land, and he clipped the front of me coming into a sweeper and down we both went. Its been my worst fall so far, but we both walked away, just a bruised ass and a rasberry on my hand from wehre the pavement ate through my teknic gloves... thank god for sand [:M14]

IF ya got any more questions, PM me so we dont whore up this thread.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Originally posted by KawiEX500
well it seems as if the tables in my life have turned ...

i remember the days i used to look down upon motorcycles & now rising gas prices has caused me consider it So in a time where so newness is definitely needed in my life, i just bought a Kawasaki ex500 and it'll be here in 2 weeks!!! The only downside to it is that its all black, nothing wrong w/ the color because i prefer black ... but im kinda worried abt bein seen at night. Guess i just gotta be that much more careful... I have no experience whatsoever on a bike & im scheduled for the MSF class at the end of the month!! Definitely lookin forward to learnin somethin new! I want to learn everything there is to know!!! So my FIRST question to the people ...

what are some good helmet brands that yall would recommend?

: ( everyone is excited, getting their new bikes, when I'm stuck here WAITING my ass off, until I'm done healing (got tonsilectimy last week after I already found my dream bike and researched everything), and am even getting a paint job for it, and have yet to get all the gear, and have yet to do the MSF course. but as SOON as I am all better, I will be ON that bike. : ) i'm excited, too, Kawi!

Have fun on your bike and be SAFE! : ) congrats!
btw how much did you pay for your bike? is it new?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Congrats people on the new bikes! Warning: If you're the type of anal person that'll actually follow the break-in recommendations, like me, the break-in period suxs!!! Fortunately, it does pass. Good luck!!!
I agree... luckily this wknd I found some twisty mountain roads where the speed limit is only 30, and you can't really ride too safely over 45, so I could have fun there while staying under the 55mph or so that 6th gear gets you at 4k rpms on the 500. :D Just had to remember to shift a lot!

Man I can't wait till 1000 miles so I can open it up!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Reflectors look tacky... Is a white, silver, or gold bike visible at night?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Reflectors look tacky... Is a white, silver, or gold bike visible at night?
Any bike at night can look more like a car with one headlight or taillight out, but maybe that will work to your advantage.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by KarenaLei

: ( everyone is excited, getting their new bikes, when I'm stuck here WAITING my ass off, until I'm done healing (got tonsilectimy last week after I already found my dream bike and researched everything), and am even getting a paint job for it, and have yet to get all the gear, and have yet to do the MSF course. but as SOON as I am all better, I will be ON that bike. : ) i'm excited, too, Kawi!

Have fun on your bike and be SAFE! : ) congrats!
btw how much did you pay for your bike? is it new?

no its not new just because i have never ridden a bike before and have heard from many people that this is a great bike to learn on. So I just bought an all black 1999 Kawasaki Ninja 500R for $900. I just want to learn the basics, enjoy the bike for a good year and a half or so, and then finally upgrade to either the Honda CBR 600 f4i or the CBR600r ... im not too sure yet. I may just stay w/ kawasaki ... i'll decide once i learn more abt bikes.

·
Registered
157 Posts
good choice! you may have more patience than me... I wanted a used 500 also but I got a really good deal on a new one, so I didnt want the offer to go away. stupid of me? maybe...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
haha yeah i've never had any experience on a bike whatsoever so it just seems kind of dumb for me to get a brand new bike that i'll prolly drop here & there in the process of learnin or who knows WHAT could happen. I'm satisfied with just having a bike for now ... i cant wait though!! Once i get the feel of things I'm gonna throw the Muzzy Exhaust on there and call it a day as far as upgrades go. :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.