Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you didn't change the filter, you have 1.4 lites too much. You can just undo the drain plug and bleed some out and put it back in quick. Otherwise the bike smokes since the excess oil backs up into god knows where, which can't be good.

·
Registered
141 Posts
thanks sgates!
ai ya.. I will have to do that tomorrow then... that means I will be taking the subway to work tomorrow...

Originally posted by sgates

If you didn't change the filter, you have 1.4 lites too much. You can just undo the drain plug and bleed some out and put it back in quick. Otherwise the bike smokes since the excess oil backs up into god knows where, which can't be good.
Jack
---
Evo VII
ZX-6R 636

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
For a proper oil change be sure to remove the heat-exchanger as well. That's the thing that goes between the oil filter and the engine case itself. It's sort of gold in colour. There's about .2 quart of oil in there that doesn't get changed when you just pull the plug and slip on a new filter. Also of note, the older ZX-6R oil filters fit just fine on the new ones, the only difference is the new ones are approximately 1.5cm shorter than the old ones - I'm assuming this is to save weight.

Chaos, panic, disorder......

my work here is done

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Too much oil is just as dangerous as too little oil. Do NOT go anthoer 200KM on the bike before you fix that. It changes the pressure in the engine, will blow your gaskets causing leaks, and can not lubricate properly because it can also create suds in the oil. I wouldn't even start the bike again without correcting that problem. Also you will do the most damage if you go over 5,000RPM. The easiest way to solve this problem is by a opening up the oil filler cap and use a syringe to suck out the oil. Or just undo the oil pan drainer bolt and do it that way. If you go 200 KM you WILL have future problems.

Thank God for Guardian Angels... Especially This One!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Originally posted by Strong Bad

For a proper oil change be sure to remove the heat-exchanger as well.
No need to do that. The small amount of oil in there is a non-issue and not worth the effort to remove. No need to complicate the oil and oil filter change like that.

Scott

·
Registered
141 Posts
Gentlemen,
Being a newbie (aka dumbass), I was adding more and more oil into the engine because I didn't check the oil level while the bike is straight up. I left it on the stand while doing it. Now I have 5 L in there which should be 1 L too much. What is the potential problem if I run it for another 200 km before first service? The bike has 300 km righ t now..
thanks
Jack

Jack
---
Evo VII
ZX-6R 636

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.