Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm someone new to bikes and decided to start off on a 250r.My local dealer said he would be able to get me one if I had cash in hand.I've been looking around at prices and noticed they are selling for a lot more than retail.From my understanding a new 09 should cost $5,000(seeing as it is retailing for $3,999).The dealer I have gone to is trying to sell me one for $6,200.I know about the $500 increase this year but is paying $6,200 the only way to get the bike or am I going to get ripped off ?

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Since 2008 was the redesigned Ninja 250's first production year, Kawasaki and it's dealers had no idea it would sell as well as it did. There were shortages and people were paying rediculous prices for one. I ordered mine just before they came out and paid $3700, well before the "panic" began.
The Kawasaki dealer meeting is this month and dealers will have their first real opportunity to order the bike according to what they think they can sell, now that they KNOW this is a good seller. For that reason Kawasaki will get a ton of orders for the 2009s and will no doubt be going full tilt with it's production. That means there will be a LOT more Ninja 250s available than in it's first production year. So there's NO reason to assume you will have to pay way over MSRP for a 2009 and any dealer trying to get you to is gouging you because he thinks you still belive the bike is going to be scarce.
Don't play their game. Wait until the 2009's (and not just the "pre-release 2009s") start shipping and then start calling around. You should be able to get a 2009 Ninja a lot easier than you could a 2008, because the dealers will be ordering them LIKE CRAZY from Kawasaki this month. It was only a rare bike in the first production year because of the dealer's stupidity and Kawasaki's lack of faith in the bike. That WILL NOT be an excuse once the dealer meeting is held this month. The dealers already know they can sell every one they order and in a few days Kawasaki will know it too. Don't give in to phony "supply and demand" reasoning from dealers who were too stupid to order the bike last year. They've learned their lesson and so should every potential customer for a 2009 Ninja 250!

·
Registered
97 Posts
The prices on these things are so sporadic. But that one is definitely WAAY high.

Don't know where you are, but the sale on one of mine fell through today (47.9 Miles on it). But either way, I would bide my time and check out some used ones until the 09's become the next step

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I live in Daytona Beach, FL. I expected bikes to be expensive here because of biketoberfest and bike week(I have gone to both for 4 years now).Also it is always good riding weather. It looks like it might be cheaper to send my parents money and have them buy me one in MA.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I live in Daytona Beach, FL. I expected bikes to be expensive here because of biketoberfest and bike week(I have gone to both for 4 years now).Also it is always good riding weather. It looks like it might be cheaper to send my parents money and have them buy me one in MA.
judging simply on the past questions like these, it sounds like Florida is one of the more expensive states when it comes to these bikes.

·
Registered
204 Posts
that price is insane.. for that you could get a close to new 600 model... check out craigslist.com... if you got cash money anyway you can pick one up at a decent price...

·
Registered
274 Posts
it would help if you had your location posted along with your other info. the last thing i would recommend is to wait. now is the time to make a deal and put down a deposit. and i mean, make a deal don't just give a deposit on some imaginary bike, get the price otd in writing on a specific bike. the price should be msrp plus taxes and title, about $200 in colorado. the other fees are a ripoff. j

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Most likely I am buying the bike in Fl. I had actually asked to put down a deposit but the dealer told first come first serve.I think I'm just going to buy it from another dealership.

·
Registered
647 Posts
:wtf:and people ask me why i am sucha douchebag or an ass to people on the forum....

·
Registered
104 Posts
if there jumping that fast just buy a 650R i got mine out the door for 7200 and i love the thing by a pair of sport bar v2's and youll love the thing

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Since 2008 was the redesigned Ninja 250's first production year, Kawasaki and it's dealers had no idea it would sell as well as it did. There were shortages and people were paying rediculous prices for one.
If you believe that they didn't know these were going to sell like hotcakes, then you're truly naive. The 250 in its classic form has been the best seller for nearly 10 years. The biggest flaw was always the old school look. I'm convinced that they knew it would take off, and either made far less than were needed, or **shipped** far less than were needed (creating the demand). From a marketing standpoint, they did it by the numbers. Launch the new design, ship a much smaller number of the bikes than could be sold, then jack the price up another notch for the next model year, and count the $$ as it rolls in.

I'll stick with my 07, thank you very much.

·
Registered
126 Posts
If you believe that they didn't know these were going to sell like hotcakes, then you're truly naive. The 250 in its classic form has been the best seller for nearly 10 years. The biggest flaw was always the old school look. I'm convinced that they knew it would take off, and either made far less than were needed, or **shipped** far less than were needed (creating the demand). From a marketing standpoint, they did it by the numbers. Launch the new design, ship a much smaller number of the bikes than could be sold, then jack the price up another notch for the next model year, and count the $$ as it rolls in.

Im with you on that.

·
Premium Member
41,542 Posts

Although I think Kawasaki was very aware the bike would be popular with the redesign, I really do not believe they intentionally kept supply down. any fool could see that a fresh redesign of a tried and true bike would be popular. Kawasaki probably didn't know that things would end up like this and people would be paying 5000+ from an MSRP of 3499. They could have shipped more bikes here and STILL had people paying the same price and sitting on waiting lists.

Kawasaki didn't make any more money because dealers sold bikes for 5000+. That's all the dealership charging more money. The dealership profits from the demand, not Kawasaki. Alot of dealerships easily doubled their money on the sale of 250s.

Don't blame Kawasaki for being greedy. They're not. Blame the dealerships. The 250 is supposed to be an inexpensive basic real world bike. The dealerships threw that out the window and just turned it into nothing more than a cash cow. You can bet that most of the dealerships are marketing the bike as the hottest thing to have right now and NOT as a cheap entry level bike, which is what it's supposed to be. Advanced Kawasaki is one of the only dealerships that I've heard of that did not see dollar bills and price gouging when the popularity of the bike picked up.

It's not like the 250 is the only bike that will be seeing a price hike in '09, so let's not be naive and think increasing bike prices are only happening in our little world of the Kawasaki 250. It's not. Is there some demand price increase going on? Sure. But so what? If people are going to be paying so much for the bike, Kawasaki should see more profit by selling the bike to the dealerships for more.

Here's an interesting thread about motorcycle prices across the board for the future.

http://www.1000rr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=53059

·
Registered
2,247 Posts

You think a company like Kawasaki didn't want to sell as many bikes as they could? That they purposely witheld bikes to "create a demand"? Who's being naive here? That's just bad business and no company in their right mind would do something that stupid.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts