Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at getting this bike for a while and I finally got a chance to take one on a demo ride. Very impressed. While not as potent as my 10r (i'm moving away from sport bikes for a more comfy ride), I was surprised at how light it felt and it handled incredibly. But what got my attention the most was the amount of pull it has all the way to red line. From anywhere in the rev range it came on hard, especially in the first 3 gears. And it was nice to go on a demo with a guy who doesn't ride like a pansy (every other demo ride i have been on). He actually let me push the bike instead of just meandering along not doing anything to give you a feel for the bike. So when the cash comes around, I'm definitely getting this machine.

By the way, my '04 10r is for sale. Anyone interested?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Originally posted by eimajnacnud

But what got my attention the most was the amount of pull it has all the way to red line.
Welcome to the world of V-Twins. You could ride an SV and get the same feeling without the maintenance and it's cheaper.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took an sv1000 out a while ago and it didn't do it for me. I found the riding position cramped, especially for my legs, and i'm not a tall guy. And I love the way the duc looks. Also, it's not that expensive. The salesman said I could get an '06 for $12900 (a grand below msrp), so the price is reasonable.

I'm aware that there is a little more maintenance, but I know a killer ex-race mechanic who has amazing shop rates (works off his farm) so I don't have to worry about taking it to Ducati in Calgary to get the work done. He's worked on my 10r and I was very pleased.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Originally posted by r_dawg1021

Welcome to the world of V-Twins. You could ride an SV and get the same feeling without the maintenance and it's cheaper.
The ducati has better running hardware....not the best, but better than the SV comes with, so the cost is reflective of that. The 2 valve Ducs aren't that bad on maintenance and have a good support network due to it's been around "forever". If you can do basic maintenance, you can work on this bike, it's just a little different.

Another thing that is nice about them is they like to be ridden hard. It's definately a no-no to lug and baby an Italian V-Twin.[:M88]

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I love the Ducati Monsters. Always have. A friend of mine collects them and has, at last count, 8 of them. I've ridden them on a couple occasions and the 1000 is a phenominal bike. Handles like a dream.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The s4r is very nice but way more expensive. They had a couple of the s4rs' there and they were retailing at 20 grand. A little too much for me, but very nice.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
the 2v ducati is much more cost effective, my desmoquattro is the nightmare but i wouldnt' trade it for anything, lol. The ducati V-Twin power is great, something rough if not maintained correctly but will run like a bat out of hell if you follow with the maintance.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Did you ever consider a Z1000? I like the look of those and they have some nice power. When I start to get back problems I probably will get something like that.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by loesch8102
Did you ever consider a Z1000? I like the look of those and they have some nice power. When I start to get back problems I probably will get something like that.
I have but I just like the duc better. I love the way it looks and sounds, love the single swingarm. My buddy has a z1000 and it is a nice ride with gobs of power, but I want a twin with an exotic flavour. As for the brutale, I don't know where to find one within sensible driving distance in Alberta.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Originally posted by Hollywood
If you like your bikes and girls naked with a bit of italian flavour I suggest having a look at some MV Augusta Brutale's!
The Brutale is a very appealing bike and is said to sound like a F1 car when revved. Definetly the epitomy of an Italian motorcycle.

Back to V-Twins, here's an interesting version of the antiquated, but reliable Guzzi donk in a modern chassis buy Ghezzi-Brian. The feel of these engines when going through the powerband are unexplainable and very addicting. I like all Italian V-Twins, no matter what their spec sheets say.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
The Kawi Z1000 was my last bike...I had a Muzzy full system on it, and it was one cool-ass bike. At my medicore skill level, I was actually faster on it through the corners than my 6R, and combined with the midrange power, I suprised a lot of pure sportbikes in the mountains, and it was very comfy until the wind blast around 100 mph.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got the price I wanted and should have it next week. And I think I'm going to turn the 10r into a track bike. LET THE SERIOUS MODDING BEGIN!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's costing me less than my 10r did brand new. If it was an s4r, then yeah it would be very expensive. I wish we got the pricing the states has, but without the duty and taxes it would cost to get it here.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.