Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
I've never been able to eyeball if they're bad or not, unless they're very obviously cooked (like in that other thread, where the fibers and steels had oil cooked onto them.) I just know if the clutch is slipping, replace them - I've replaced better looking discs when clutches were slipping before, and I've had others that were still gripping that looked worse. So it's really up to you. If you KNOW your clutch has been slipping, replace the stuff. See, it wasn't hard at all, was it?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Look at the steel's, if they are discolored or have mutiple hot spots on them then replace everything. I would also get soem stiffer springs, EBC makes soem that are like 20% stiffer.

Make sure you soak the new fibers for a couple of hours before installing them.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by sneakyws6
Look at the steel's, if they are discolored or have mutiple hot spots on them then replace everything. I would also get soem stiffer springs, EBC makes soem that are like 20% stiffer.
when u changed urs, how did they look compared to mine?

no hot spots or discoloration on any of the steel plates

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I replaced mine mainly due to milage (25,000+) but I had one hot spot on the steels in the same spot on all of them.

Fibers looked ok, but I had several drag strip runs on them and just went ahead and replaced them to be sure. They swelled up one night from a track trip and after that just did not feel the same. Out they went and in with the new.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
ok i have a question. im putting everything back together. the little lever on top of the cover where the cable hooks to,,,, where that round springs is. does that lever sit flush with the cover or should there be a small gap? this is what im talking about. dont remember how it went.

·
Registered
857 Posts
slight gap, pull in the clutch if it gves normal resitance then it's ok, you might wans tto try to push it down a bit...and your fibers looked alrite, mine were similar when i changed mine but 2 disks were warped and 1 slightly burned..

·
Registered
550 Posts
Originally posted by ninjakid04636
ok i have a question. im putting everything back together. the little lever on top of the cover where the cable hooks to,,,, where that round springs is. does that lever sit flush with the cover or should there be a small gap? this is what im talking about. dont remember how it went.
Just looked at mine, same gap - never been apart.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Originally posted by ninjakid04636

was it giving u noticeable symptoms?
yeah it was slipping a bit, enuff to cosue an anoyance, did you check for warpage? its ahrd to see with a nked eye somtimes, and better springs are definatly a good thing to invest in, i ended up getting an aftermarket clutch altho the stock is very good and the springs are way better, you can buy a set of springs for probly around $20 or so...

·
Registered
343 Posts
Originally posted by Leanlow

yeah it was slipping a bit, enuff to cosue an anoyance, did you check for warpage? its ahrd to see with a nked eye somtimes, and better springs are definatly a good thing to invest in, i ended up getting an aftermarket clutch altho the stock is very good and the springs are way better, you can buy a set of springs for probly around $20 or so...
Spell check[}:)]

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by Leanlow

no i forgot to check. im gonna *assume* the whole thing is ok for now. think next thing i'll focus on is getting the valve adjustment checked. sounds like it might need it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.