Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Took the ZZR to the drag strip

863 views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  eklipse636 
#1 ·
Me and two of my buddies took our bikes to the Muice Dragstrip last night.I was on my 05 ZZR and my friends were on a 04 FZ6 and an 02 GSXR750. My bro also ran his Impala and another on of my friends his drag Caviler. A good time was head by all. I got 6 runs in, it was test and tune night. First run I was up against the GSXR and did not get my tire warm enough as the fact that as i shifted into 2nd the back tire kicked out. Scare the crap out of me cus i was not expecting the tire to let go like that mid run. Ended up running a 13.2, I was disappionted but the next runs was not much better. Think a lot of it was building my nerve back up to hammer it hard when shifting. Ended up running a 13.0 and then a 12.8 both against the GSXR. The guy on the GSXR stopped running to help get the drag car ready so i lined up wiht the FZ6 and after getting my nerve back and the fact that i wanted to run a good run against him seeing as we was interested in seeing who was actaully faster. I ended up pulling a 12.2 then a 12.0 against him. Beat him both times. I was petty happy. I need to launch it harder to get down to the stock times but this was the first time with the ZZR on the strip. Its a lot different than running the 02 Suzuki Bandit 600 i was use to running. The Bandit stock was 12.7 in the 1/4 and about 30 hp less than the ZZR. All in all we had a fun safe night on the bikes.

#2 ·
The 1/4 mile is addicting and a lot harder than it looks. The key as you said is in the launch. It is hard because you do not get a lot of practice time maybe 4-6 runs a night. It is extremely rewarding when you do get that good launch and improve your personal best. Have fun and don't get discouraged and try to do too much too quickly. On my last 2 passes this week as soon as I let the clutch out had the front end aiming towards the sky. I posted an old video from when I first started under zx6rr 1/4 mile and will post another tomorrow from Friday nights test and tune.

#3 ·
i see you race at bithlo huh? i think they should rename that place slickworld instead of speedworld. i went out in august and was spinning the tire at half track. but hey, i bought a slick so once it starts cooling down im ready. what are your mods and et?

#4 ·
Yeah, I just posted a new video under 1/4 mile zx6rr on this site in the videos section. I have a micron slip on, pc3, BMC race filter, lowered 2in rear, 1 front. Also running 14,47 gearing.I just installed a kit ecu which I am still trying to get the most out of. The map I had was apparently too rich because as I lean it out at mid and high rpm range on PC3 I am picking up mph. My best time so far is 11.09 @ 125 MPH 1.77 60ft. The track was hooked this week as my last pass I wheelied hard in 1st and had to roll off because it was not leveling off. I ran 1 1.79 60ft and 11.27@126 MPH. The time itself is nothing great but, the mph tells me that I am heading in the right direction. I wonder what it would have been if I didn't have to roll off. You are right though because I am usually spinning quite a bit on that track. I try to go every Friday so maybe I will see you there.

#5 ·
you'll get it there... once the cool weather moves in, its all good then, it took me 4 times to the track to get into the tens, mods are minimal for me. k&n, custom pipe, air box mod, lowered 2in front and rear, strap, -1 +2 gear. im getting extensions and a new clutch next month, should be seeing 10.80's. my best lap is 1.77 60ft, 10.97 at 125mph. ive been doing testing with the rear suspension setup, found that full soft on the spring tension, with soft compression, and medium rebound works the best for the ol' j1 zx6r

#6 ·
Thanks punksrfr:

I am getting off the line pretty good but, lose some time getting tucked behind windsreen when shifting from first to second. I try to slide all the way back to the cowl and lay flat on the tank but, at 6'2" and 200 lbs it is hard to get my feet up to the pegs to shift from that position. I may strap it as everyone tells me that it will make a big difference in the 60ft.

#7 ·
your 60ft is good. no doubt that the strap works well, correction on my best 60ft., it was actually 1.73, the strap got that one for me. try this, if your wearin boots and it makes it hard to get your feet up and ready for the shift. try loosing the pinch nuts on the shift linkage and turn it so it raises the shift lever higher, it makes it easier to transfer your foot and get ready to shift. my buddy is the same size as you and has pretty much the same bike, its a 636. he was having the same problem and he tryed it. he said it worked well.

#8 ·
Thanks for the tip and will give it a go. I just need to make sure that it won't interfere with my MPS ignition kill switch for my quickshifter.

#10 ·
I love it. It was fairly inexpensive compared to other products like dynojet quickshifter but, does the same thing. I put the kill box in the rear cowl and never have to worry about it. I have it adjusted to 50ms and the shifts are flawless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.