Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m trying to take off my front and back wheels. What tools and sizes should I use? Mainly need help taking off the front for rotor swaps

·
Registered
335 Posts
I’m trying to take off my front and back wheels. What tools and sizes should I use? Mainly need help taking off the front for rotor swaps
I don't have this bike, but a service manual should fill in the gaps here. In general, you'll need a stand that will lift the front end by the tripletree. There should be a hole on the under side that you can slip the pin into and lift the front end up. You likely will want to remove the front faring when doing so.

For removing things, it's going to be alan keys and sockets. The service manual will indicate the correct size. Make sure that you have something with which to support the brakes calipers when you remove them. This goes doubly if you don't have stainless steel lines. But, even if you do, it's a good idea to do so. This is a great time to replace the lines with stainless steel if you're thinking of doing so. (I've had great luck with Venhill lines, easy install, nice look and great feel)

Make sure that you have an appropriate torque wrench for when you reassemble.

Lastly, make sure that you've got an appropriate cotter pin. Personally, I use safety pins rather than cotter pins, especially on the back. For the front, a cotter pin is fine, you're not likely to take the wheel off very often, but the rear, I definitely encourage a safety pin because you'll be loosening that just about every time you do some chain maintenance. something like .091 x 2-3/4" Safety Pins, Steel, 1/PKG , I think that's the right diameter, but I can't remember. Having a safety pin is a huge improvement over the standard cotter pins as you can reusue them virtually forever.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Front axle clamp bolts: 15ft lbs, 6mm allen key.
Front axle nut: 94 ft lb, dont remember what size but used one of these, think its either 22 or 24mm
Rear axle nut: 94 ft lb, 32mm

1 - 3 of 3 Posts