Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I'm planning an event that will take me from the top of North America to the bottom of South America. The riding will be long and hard and I'm estimating it'll take at least a good 20 days each way, so we're looking at a 2 month long trip. I'm estimating the trip will begin around June/July.

Has anybody done a trip of this length before and has any suggestions? Has anybody travelled through South America on a bike before? I've gone from Montreal down to New Orleans, through to Houston and down into Mexico and stopped for some time in Monterrey, a trip of 10,500km and approximately 120 hrs, so i'm not shy of long days on the bike, I actually rather enjoy them! But as everyone knows, South America is a completely different world from the North and i'm very curious and interested to see what there is to see! Perhaps anybody would be interested in joining in such an event?

Arthur

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
That is one heck of a ride! Are you taking the ZX-6R or do you have a touring bike. You must have a better than stock seat to make it through a 10K km trip!

This sounds very interesting, have you put any thought into the estimated costs involved?

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
Sounds like a good trip.

My girlfriend is from South America (Paraguay) and she used to ride a dirtbike and scooter down there. Most of the roads are dirt, at least in Paraguay.
I have no firsthand experience, and I don't think she ever rode in neighbouring countries (brazil, argentina) but I assume their roads are in better condition, the freeways are for sure anyway.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello again, everyone.

First to answer the questions:

a) I rode the 10K km with my zx6r, with the stock seat ;) was a bit rough.. especially on the way back after I had accidently drank the water in Mexico -- let's just say Pepto and I became great friends after that -- still pulled 12 hr days on the bike though. Btw, the ZX6R rode WONDERFULLY!!! The only problem I encountered the entire trip was a loose chain in Houston, which needed tightening. Otherwise, my tires are completely bald. However, to do this long trip through South America I fully intend to get ahold of a touring bike.

b) I'm estimating around 10K (CAN) depending on so many situations. Bribing officials, replacing parts, fixing tires.. you know the works. Hopefully I'll be able to camp out/stay in hostels for the most part. I'm far from the richest fellow in the world and i'll definitely keep to the cheaper motels and cheaper restaurants. I haven't had the time to sit down and carefully budget yet, but I will. Plus i'm hoping on being sponsored.

c) a lot of the roads are horrible, and a lot are beautiful and winding throughout the country, overlooking beautiful valleys and oceans. I've heard nothing but how beautiful the country is and how free you can feel just riding through those roads on a nice sunny day.

I've been reading all about these guys adventures: http://moonride.org/howitallstarted.html

I spent hours upon hours reading their journals of their adventures through south america and it's insane. I wish I could have joined them on that trip. Truly amazing things.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.