Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So every one says that on a stock 636 if the speedo is reading 170 then you are really only doing around 155 or so, my question is at what speed does the speedo start reading wrong? Like if it says 70 or 80mph what are you really doing?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats good to know, I thought that it was always right until you change your sprocket. Why is is off on a bike and not a car?

·
Registered
116 Posts
it is off on a car, the tach is off even more though.

gauges always seem about 10% high on stock vehicles. makes no sense that the bikes with all digital should be off though, its just math with gear ratios, they would have had to do it intentionally, there is no way to just pick the wrong constant in your speed equation as an engineer designing the cluster. i have a professor who designs clusters for delphi (auto clusters), i'll sak him why they're always off.

·
Powerhungry
38,368 Posts
Originally posted by mikebowyer
it is off on a car, the tach is off even more though.

gauges always seem about 10% high on stock vehicles. makes no sense that the bikes with all digital should be off though, its just math with gear ratios, they would have had to do it intentionally, there is no way to just pick the wrong constant in your speed equation as an engineer designing the cluster. i have a professor who designs clusters for delphi (auto clusters), i'll sak him why they're always off.
yeh its intentional. they do that so you think you are going faster than you really are. so you THINK ur on a 170 mph bike. well atleast thats what the owner of my dealership told me, when i asked about my speedo being so far off. i mean seriously wtf. thats the stupidest thing ive ever heard.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
All vehicles have some error, but it seems bikes are worse than most vehicles. Alot of that probably is due to tire growth and or wear and just flat out manufacture lack of accuracy.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I heard somebody say it's a liability thing. God forbid if somehow they're off the other direction and somebody wrecks going faster than they thought. In this country, that probably equates to a lawsuit. As for the tach, who knows?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Liability and bragging rights. They set the speed high so someone wont be going faster than indicated, and it also turns into a good story if someone lives to tell about 170 MPH when talking about their bikes. The tach is purely bragging rights, look at this year's R6 and all the shit that went down over in the Yamadog department.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.