Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

top tank bolts

4K views 29 replies 19 participants last post by  bwestgsx06 
#1 ·
My top tank bolts that hold the steering damper are frozen must have lock tight on them and they feel like the heads are going to strip any suggestions?

#4 ·
Mine were hard to get out as well.. Make sure you use 5mm allen key socket because its really hard with allen keys or T handle syle allen keys.. Thats half the
fun though.. wait till you have to line up the tank mount and dampner bracket when you go to put them back in.. It took me about 45 min.. Thought for sure
I was going to need my tap and dye set.. I got it eventually.. Oh make sure you
make note of the cable positioning under the tank when you set it back down.

I think it would of been easier to remove the dampner before the bracket. or just the middle off dampner .. one security torx bolt..
Good luck.. :)

#8 ·
Try an 'impact driver' with the allen (hex) key bit.

#15 ·
Maybe it was just me but I had a bitch of a time aligning the right side bolt through the dampner bracket and rubber tank mount... the mount would keep moving on the tank,.. maybe 45 mins was a little exaggerated :D
It sucked ass none the less..

#12 ·
Nice cut !
I guess you eventually got a flat blade screwdriver to it.

With stubborn nuts & bolts, I've found over the years that gradually increasing the level of applied torque, in order to loosen it, is more likely to result in rounding off/tearing of the hex profile (either internal or external).

I've had far more success with the 'short sharp shock' method, ideally with an impact driver if the first attempt with a ratchet or spanner (wrench) is unsuccessful.

In some situations, applying a little heat (with a blow torch) prior to using the ratchet, works a treat, though in this situation I appreciate that the use of a blow torch would be plain stupid.

#14 ·
I am replacing all the bolts that I can. I am ordering grade 8 or better stainless bolt to replace all these soft aluminum peices of crap. I guess I found all the weight we lost. :) Its in the cheap bolts.

Reactions: the-spanner
#17 ·
Old thread same problem.... okay, so I notched the bolt with my dremel but still couldnt get it to budge with the flat head screwdriver. Then I went and tried an EZ-out, and it didn't F%^&#NG work so now, what the heck to I do? Both EZ-outs broke off even though I followed the instructions.

Some guy at work who's pretty handy suggested I dremel off the head of the bolt until i am able to just pull up on the tank and then use a wrench to twist out the stem of the bolt. Good idea or no? I'm basically stuck... i have my PCV waiting to be installed....

#18 ·
When I worked at a chevy dealership we had problems with torque converter bolts that were hex head. We would take a small pry bar and put a notch in the head, then angle the pry par so that when you hit it with a hammer it will turn the bolt out. You deff have to be careful with it since if you skip you can damage other parts. Try that as a last resort I guess. It really sucks when hex head bolts are over tightened.

#22 ·
Yeah, it's tight in there for sure. I can snap some pics when i get the bike after work tomorrow. I have some expensive "diamond" dremel heads so grinding off the bolt head won't be too hard, I just don't trust that it'll work without screwin up the damper bracket. Already got the replacement bolts so if/when i get this thing off, i won't torque those down nearly as tight.

PS- I should've tried to impact driver first- my buddy let me borrow his but by that time, the hex head was round, lol

#21 ·
I had similar issues ended up using a snap on hex socket and an electric impact driver/gun 3/8 drive and they came right out, im carefull not to overtighten. There was threadlock on mine? Hopefully last time I have the tank up for a while.

#25 ·
wtf is an impact driver? The ones hooked up to a compressor or wha...? Sorry for the newb question

#29 ·
No problems here with an impact. My primary use drill is my 18v makita impact. Small, light weight, and can take the lug nuts off my truck.
-Cody

#30 ·
sorry to dig this thread up but do you have to drain the fuel in the tank when doing this?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.