Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys
Haven't been on here for ages and did do a bit of a search but didn't really find a proper answer -

I noticed that my overflow bottle was completely empty and the bike was running a bit hotter than ususal, especially in slow moving traffic and on hotter days ( not that we get many of those here ) but it was nothing drastic, it would just get up to 102-105 celcius -
I took of the tank to get to the overflow bottle ( what idiot came up with that design )
and filled it up to a good bit over the max level by mistake and also topped up the rad a bit -
I let the bike get up to temperature and everything is now working fine and it is definetely running that bit cooler as it did when new -
Question is - should I bother trying to drain some of the extra coolant from the overflow bottle or will it just piss out on the ground on its own if I leave it ?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i did the exact same thing on the weekend. you don't have to worry too much about filling it over the level. what did you top up the radiator with? if it's just distilled water then its not a problem.
used a rock oil pre-mixed coolant type of thing - very tasty green colour
Had the bike out for a spin for a few hours after and didn't get any steaming coming from anywhere and it didn't blow up either so kinda assumed that it would be fine but thought it would do no harm getting other kawi owners opinion -

·
Registered
120 Posts
yeah you if you're gonna put new coolant in, specially if it's different to the coolant already in the radiator, you should flush the whole system and refill it....mixing coolants can apparently cause small chemical reactions if you use different types. just topping up with distilled water is the safer thing to do.

having said that its not like your cooling system will kick it and die. just little details that i like to be anal about.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah you if you're gonna put new coolant in, specially if it's different to the coolant already in the radiator, you should flush the whole system and refill it....mixing coolants can apparently cause small chemical reactions if you use different types. just topping up with distilled water is the safer thing to do.

having said that its not like your cooling system will kick it and die. just little details that i like to be anal about.
can't for the life of me remember if it was the same stuff I used when I flushed it last year but both were green so it's probably all good -
Thanks for the replies man

·
fap-o-caster
50,488 Posts
Anytime I've flushed and filled the coolant system, I do not use distilled water. You'd need like 10 gallons of it to keep flushing it all out. Do you really think dealerships use distilled water when performing coolant changes? Do you guys have this product called Engine Ice available in your area? I use it and it's pre-mixed, just pour it in and forget about it! Try it, or water wetter which is more water based (good for trackdays) and is premixed too.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Anytime I've flushed and filled the coolant system, I do not use distilled water. You'd need like 10 gallons of it to keep flushing it all out. Do you really think dealerships use distilled water when performing coolant changes? Do you guys have this product called Engine Ice available in your area? I use it and it's pre-mixed, just pour it in and forget about it! Try it, or water wetter which is more water based (good for trackdays) and is premixed too.
nah i meant used distilled water only if you're topping up definately used proper coolant mix if your flushing and filling the whole system. anyway, race bikes run distilled water so its not like it'll kill your bike if you do use only water.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.