Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thursday was a typical hot Tennessee summer day, and I decided (as I usually do) to take the country back roads home after work. There are some pretty decent twisties around the Sumner/Robertson county area, some of which I ride weekly. I happened to be on one of my favorite roads, which has several sharp turns, and abrupt switch backs. And then it happened...

I was set up for a pretty sharp left hander, prolly doing only 30-35 MPH. The bike was leaned pretty decent, and I was just getting ready to hit the apex when out of the side of my right eye I saw a white flash approach the front of the bike. Suddenly I felt (and heard) a lound THUMP, which immediately sent my bike out of the turn. I jumped a drive way, landed the bike, and tried desperately to save it in a very rough field/yard. I wound up wadding the bike up in a flurry of dust, grass, and kawi plastics. I was wearing all of my gear, so I only suffered some bruises and soreness from the incident. The $^$^%$^%$, sawed off, white @$$ed, yappy dog was scratched up pretty good and limping, but he fared much better than the bike. I guess I should be thankful that I'm still here to tell this story, but after 15,000 miles (in 8 months of ownership), I was crushed to see the bike in such a rashed/bashed mess. The insurance company came out the next morning and totaled it.

Moral of the story. No matter how hot/uncomfortable the weather, and no matter how much you think you look like a power ranger, wear your gear.

D

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Geez, did you kick the crap out of the dog? You should have at least taken the dog and held it for ransom until the owners paid for your totalled bike. Are there leash laws in that county?

Anyway, glad you're alright. Another point for wearing good gear. So, whats on the menu now...bike wise? You going to get a new one?

·
Registered
197 Posts
doesn't tenn. have leash laws i'd get a lawyer to recover for the bike and i always ware full gear no matter how hot and can you buy back the bike from the insurance co. ?

·
Premium Member
10,460 Posts
Damn that sucks, sorry to hear it.

Glad you are OK though....Also does your insurance cover your gear?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Insurance cut a check the next day, and said they were going to try and go after the dog owner. I'm not sure if my county has a leash law or not, but the adjuster said if it did then they could/would recover the costs from the owner. Thank God I keep all of my receipts for all of my bike related purchases; so yes, I was re-imbursed for helmet, jacket and gloves. The Phoenix pants and Oxtar boots were unharmed (just wiped off the dirt n' grass). The bike's frame was jacked, so I just didn't bother with talking salvage/buy back with the adjuster.

I am going to get another bike for sure, but after putting 15k on the 6R I'm not sure if I want another 600 class, a 750 class, or if I should move up to a liter bike. Decisions, decisions....

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
44,371 Posts
Yea dude, glad you are okay and yes, this drives home the point of not only wearing your gear, but also having full coverage. Sounds like your insurance company is good to work with. Who is it?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wrecked on Thurs evening. Adjuster was at my house Friday morning, and the check was cut by that evening. Progressive is quick, I'll give them that much.

D

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Originally posted by jaybyrd
i think you will feel rite at home on the 06 10r good luck
+1 on that. I didn't realize this until I went and sat on one, but the new ZX10 is actually a tad shorter than the 636. Man, the XZ10 was pretty darn comfortable. Had a real nice feel to it too. If I didn;t have a baby on the way, I'd already have a green one.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Don't get too carried away with literbike fantasies, I put 10k on my 1000rr and went back to a 600. More fun, less money, cheaper tires and you don't have to deal with the insane speeds, HP, and spinning up tires on the track so quickly and easily.

Fun stuff if you like to drag, but for canyon and track riding, very few literbike riders develop the skills needed to ride one well. I pass a lot of literbikes in A groups at trackdays on my SV650.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Moral of the story. No matter how hot/uncomfortable the weather, and no matter how much you think you look like a power ranger, wear your gear.
Dam skippy. My gear saved my ass back in May.

Good to hear you walked away relatively unscathed and in a position to get yourself a new bike for having to put up with the whole ordeal.

I have had squirrels dart out underneath my bike while I was ~50 MPH and I swear I NEVER felt a bump. Little bastards have actually run in between my wheels and made it!

I have also often thought about how fucked I'd be if I hit one while leaned over, and it sounds like it ain't too good. Good Thing you had a wide open space (it sounds like) to skid to a stop without hitting anything. Hitting inanimate objects even in full gear does very little to prevent breaks it seems.

My leg snapped right below my boots' shin guard where there is soft material to allow the ankle to bend. When I catapulted over the guardrail back in May (my leg did not follow...) it was the only place that had give in that area. They were Astars SMX Plus.

Glad to hear you are ready to get back in the saddle.

[^]

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by tweakmon

Dam skippy. My gear saved my ass back in May.

Hitting inanimate objects even in full gear does very little to prevent breaks it seems.

My leg snapped right below my boots' shin guard where there is soft material to allow the ankle to bend. When I catapulted over the guardrail back in May (my leg did not follow...) it was the only place that had give in that area. They were Astars SMX Plus.[^]
Yeah, I kissed a cliff @ the dragon last year, and felt damn lucky to walk away from that one as well. Once again, fully geared, and mostly just bruised/sprained from the flailing.

Sorry to hear 'bout your ordeal mang. How's that leg doin' now BTW?

D

·
Registered
360 Posts
i fell over a 60 ft cliff in shady valley tn back in may .... broken ankle and collar bone ... triing to get back up to speed ...could have been worse .... good gear makes a diffrence

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Originally posted by BigDally

Yeah, I kissed a cliff @ the dragon last year, and felt damn lucky to walk away from that one as well. Once again, fully geared, and mostly just bruised/sprained from the flailing.

Sorry to hear 'bout your ordeal mang. How's that leg doin' now BTW?
Its getting better every day. I'm hoping to be walking on it by September or so.

In fact, I pulled the blue demon out again this weekend to verify the small factory parts I gotta order and (of course) to warm it up and rev it a few times to let the wonderous Akra sound wash over my body. You know the drill...I wanna ride BAAD.

To tell you the truth, if I didn't think I'd look hella nutzo haulin' ass down the 405 freeway with my crutches strapped to my back I'd already be commuting again.[:p]

I'd have to laugh my ass off if I saw that...Road Warrior style!

THATS dedication.:D

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by ASIANPRIDE
Would you like to sell me your Right side rear set.. (rear break) ?

PM me if you are down....plz and thx
Dude, the whole right side rear set and brake assembly was ripped from the frame during the crash (tearing bolts out of chassis). I didn't go into details about everything that was jacked, because I didn't wanna put anyone to sleep, but basically most all of the plastics (incuding tank), right handlebar, and rear sub-fram are all jacked as well.

D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.