Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so... I posted earlier this week about the accident I was in. I brought the bike to the dealership yesterday and they told me that its totaled. Oi vey. Ive got insurance through state farm, good thing I got full coverage. Also got the gap coverage at the dealership, so I should be good to go. I'm hoping that you guys can answer a few questions I have regarding the whole process. Firstly, does it matter that the accident happend in a parking lot? Will state farm try to get out of paying by saying I wasnt on a public road? Just in case you dont know what happend, I was practicing turning and hit some gravel, which pulled my rear wheel out and I low sided it. Anyway, I dont want to get screwed because I was in a parking lot, though I would hope it wouldnt matter since I do have full coverage.

Uhm what are my other questions. Ah, so basically all that state farm will do is pay for the old bike (along with the gap coverage), so will I be able to upgrade to a better bike without hassel? Im prepared for the insurance hike, im just hoping that there wont be a problem with me upgrading. Anyone have any experience with state farm, do I have anything to worry about? Thanks

·
Registered
875 Posts
Did the dealership say its totaled or did the ins co?

I saw your post about the drop, and it didn't sound like enough damage for the ins co to total the bike. I'd double check with them. Sorry I don't have any more advice.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dealership, I havent talked with the insurance yet. Apparently the total amount to fix the bike would be $900 more than I paid for it brand new so its being considered totaled. While the damage didnt look that great, there were lots of scratches in a lot of parts and most of them would need to be replaced. I did ask the dealership how much it would cost to just fix the parts to make it functional again and they said that the bill would still be pretty hefty as well as the bikes value would fall through the floor.

·
Registered
875 Posts
well, the ins will def say its totaled if they think its gonna cost more than what its worth to repair. But you prob don't need to fix/buy everything the dealer says. If there are just scuffs on some of the plastics, you don't need to get new ones. You might be able to fix it for cheaper if you shop around or do some work yourself.

If the ins co totals it, they take the bike and cut you a check. You can do whatever you want w/ the check. IMO, I wouldn't upgrade to something else yet. I got the same bike this summer as my first, and I know I still have A LOT to learn. You could even get a 250 or something used and pocket some of the difference also.

Just my .02

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
so let me get this straight...

you put your EX down in a parking lot while practicing turning and the dealership called it as a totalled bike.

now you want a larger, more expensive bike???

take the money collected and find a used EX500 and start practicing more. you seem way too fresh to motorcycles to concern yourself with an upgrade at this point. once you've mastered the basics, you should really stick with what you've got for a while before changing bikes. an EX500 to a ZX6R/RR is a WORLD of difference. the last thing you need is to purchase a missile when you're still learning the basic functions of the motorcycle

·
Registered
306 Posts
i dont understand how u can be doin a turn and total it not like u was doin a buck10 and wrapped it around the tree[}:)]

·
Registered
406 Posts
I'm with you on that satan. What was your speed. What exactly were you doing at the time of the accident, etc.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Apparently if there is a part that gets scratched the dealership is going to replace it. While I was only going maybe 15-20, it seemed like just about everything on the right side had a scratch on it. I talked to one of my buddies about making it just rideable and he said thats just how motorcycles are. Of course the dealership said to not do that as it would lose the motorcycles value.. and while the insurance hike on a totaled bike might be a lot, its certainly not as much as the lose in value. *shrug*. Im still thinking it over and figuring things out.

·
Registered
875 Posts
On your first bike, just chalk the scratches up to learning experience. No sense replacing the plastics and taking the chance of scratching it again.

Plus, who cares about the loss in resale value from cosmetic damage unless you're about to sell it. Just make it ridable, and if you decide to sell later, fix the cosmetic stuff. It would really suck if you got new plastics and scratched them again.

Just my .02

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
If you do get it totaled and get another bike, Steve P has some turbo 10's in the classifieds! You should pick up the blue one, it has more chrome!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lol... I wouldnt be upgrading for more speed. If it does come to the bike being totaled I'm probably going to look for an older bike that is a little bigger so I can feel more comfortable on it, as well as heavier so the wind doesnt blow me around so much.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
http://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26786

check it out demon! i posted this a while back...

as for wind blowing you around, it might make a small difference, but it will have an effect on you no matter what size you or the bike are...in fact, a larger bike might weigh a bit more and keep you planted, but it also provides more surface area for the wind to catch. it's something you have to learn to adjust to. no bike will prevent you from getting pushed around

·
Registered
187 Posts
If all you were doing was 15mph then how can you do enough damage to concider the bike totaled? If the frame is damaged at all, it is considered totaled cause of the cost to replace the frame, but if it has a scratch that can be buffed out then its not totaled. and the dealership is trying to rip you off, or scare you cause they know you don't know how to ride.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.