Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know wtf the dealership used to put on the oil filter trying to get mine off today and it is not budging do they have some sort of special tool? also i need to wait til morning to try anything else is it safe to leave the bike with no oil in it over night?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
uhh...an oil filter wrench and it's not recommended leaving a bike with no oil in it ever. Stick a screwdriver in their and turn if you don't have one.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
uhh...an oil filter wrench and it's not recommended leaving a bike with no oil in it ever. Stick a screwdriver in their and turn if you don't have one.
i was using an oil filter wrench even took the plastics off the side for more room and no matter how hard i turn it doesnt budge the bike slides but the filter doesn't budge.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm going to have to fight the 2000 lb gorilla this week

i was using an oil filter wrench even took the plastics off the side for more room and no matter how hard i turn it doesnt budge the bike slides but the filter doesn't budge.
I'm not looking forward to my first filter change. I have 33 miles on the bike and need to change mine. I have 4 weapons in my arsonal:

I am planning on using them in the order displayed.

Attachments

·
Registered
240 Posts
that first tool in the pic will work fine. and the second one too. and of course the usual screwdriver. i don't know how people got that 3rd tool to work since there is little to no room.

just make sure that when you tighten, tighten by hand. turn till it can't turn no more then another 3/4 turn if i'm not mistaken or 1/4 turn. make sure you slap on some oil around the filter.

have fun.

·
Registered
11,326 Posts
Removing the factory oil filter is always tough. I tried stabbing it with a screwdriver IIRC, but it just ripped it apart. So i went and got that tool above with the jaws. It took some effort, especially with all the oil everywhere, but i got it.

If you have the old oil, just throw it back in there overnight and drain it again in the morning.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not looking forward to my first filter change. I have 33 miles on the bike and need to change mine. I have 4 weapons in my aresonal:

I am planning on using them in the order displayed.
I actually had the first item you posted and it didn't wanna budge. So i wound up skipping to number three and i he manned the thing off my neighbor actually looked at me nervously and said yea so i wont ever be yelling slow down to you again :Laughing rolling: and another buddy who had an oil change done on his zx 10 at the same place that did my 600 mile service said they put his on so tight he had to take his plastics off and his header apart to remove what was left of his filter when he was done destroying it trying to remove it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
anyone on here do the small magnet on the oil filter? few members on the car forum im one put magnets on their oil filter to keep metal particles at the bottom of their filter anyone ahve any input?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm curious, are you guys using a breaker bar? I just purchased a 17" breaker bar which I hope will help move my first filter.

I know some of you mentioned the bike sliding or lifting, I'm assuming a larger breaker bar wouldn't eliminate that problem.

·
Registered
49 Posts
anyone on here do the small magnet on the oil filter? few members on the car forum im one put magnets on their oil filter to keep metal particles at the bottom of their filter anyone ahve any input?
I never thought about that, but it sounds like a good idea.

·
Registered
470 Posts
http://www.secondchancegarage.com/articles/images/begoilfilter/photo1.jpg

had to use one of those. tried all others but the stock filter would NOT budge. I almost gave up on the strap as well but I gave it one really hard turn and the stock filter finally loosened up. What I thought was going to be a 20min oil change turned into a 4 hour ordeal. The straps I bought had bumps on the inside that dug into the filter.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I switched to pure-one oil filters and no more sparkling oil for me. if you see metalics in your oil, then your current filter isnt doing its job.

just FYI, I cut the original filter open on my 2007 after 1000km and found the end caps to be COMPLETLEY gone compared to a brand new filter that i got from the dealership.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
http://www.secondchancegarage.com/articles/images/begoilfilter/photo1.jpg

had to use one of those. tried all others but the stock filter would NOT budge. I almost gave up on the strap as well but I gave it one really hard turn and the stock filter finally loosened up. What I thought was going to be a 20min oil change turned into a 4 hour ordeal. The straps I bought had bumps on the inside that dug into the filter.
i feal ya that was def a few hours cuz of some stupid tight oil filter. so glad to see it isn't my dumbness i wonder wtf their using to tighten these on at the dealerships clearly not the recomended torque.

·
Registered
518 Posts
hey jerze i wonder if i have seen your bike around, i use to work just recently as of last week in vista at the kragen now in temecula u have pics of it

1 - 20 of 27 Posts