Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from a 6 day 1800 trip on my 99 ZX6r. I left from St. Louis with a friend and we traveled to Eastern Ky (Hazard) then on to Va, Found many fun roads in western Va. We went to the highest point in Va. Next we got on the Blue Ridge parkway and traveled to Cherokee NC. on thru the Smokies. Back home we went across clinch Mountain in North eastern Tenn then thru the new tunnel at Cumberland gap.

The bike ran great no problems, I had a set of soft saddle bags from Eclispe that worked great. The only part that I had trouble with was a sore butt. I used a gel saddle pad that helped a lot as the seat on a 6R is very hard. We traveled only two lane roads and tried to find the real twisty ones. We did Deals Gap in the Smokies which is still my all time favorite road. I have been riding the gap road since I was 16 I am now 52 and it is still a thrill. Overall it was a great trip that flew by. We stayed at Motels every night and split the cost. The bike often got over 50MPG. The total cost was about $400.00 for everything. We are going to do a trip next year the same week, I cant wait.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No we didnt roll the bikes into the rooms but we did request first floor rooms and locked the forks and slept with curtains cracked to keep eyes on bikes. One motel in Indiana the desk clerk rode a Honda F4 he told us to park on the sidewalk next to the front doors under the canapy where he could see the bikes and he watched them all night. Met many nice bikers on trip.
Had no trouble getting on bike after six days, My arms and wrists never hurt, but I ride alot at home. The best part was it never rained on us for all six days. One fun part was blasting around the cold trucks near Hazord Ky in the mountains. These were the biggest coal hoppers I had ever seen, I ask one driver at a rest stop how many tons he was carrying and he said it was 70,000 lbs, highly illegal but in Ky they do it.
I wore my green Joe Rocket outfit ever day I have the Kaw Green bike, along with a full coverage helmet and gloves. I will post some pics in a few days.We crossed a neat ferry on the Ohio River at Cave in Rock Illinois over to Ky.
The bike used no oil, and it did get run hard on the twisties.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
wow, the zx6r is a great overall bike!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wow that is one hell of a trip. I did 80 miles yesterday and I was ready to go home, though it was 90 degrees. That was the 1st time I noticed how hard that 6R seat really is.

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
Sounds like a great ride and some great roads.

Where's the pics?

-Flash

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.