Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone or does anyone tow a small trailer with your bike? I can't seem to find much for sportbikes but a lot for cruisers. I am a Carpenter by trade as well as an HD mechanic but I would like to haul some of my tools by trailer to the jobsite rather than use the car all the time.

There are two routes I can go with as far as hitches are concerned, ridged or pivot. With the ZZR it has a hollow rear axle which you can use round bar through it to have the hitch/trailer assembly pivot here. If going this route the trailer would have to have one rear wheel and lean with the bike.

The other way would be a standard ball rigid mounted to the swingarm to pull regular trailers.

I have to find out about local insurance first before I go ahead and build something but I'm just wondering if anyone has some input or ideas.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
I really do not like the idea of having anything attached to the back of the bike that can push or pull the back end around. Why do you need to tow a trailer with it?

Keep in mind the handling characteristics of cruisers are very different than sport bikes, and will probably tow a trailer much better than a sport bike.

·
Registered
228 Posts
^^^^That looks more like a baby seat than a trailer.^^^^

Reminds me of when I went to bike week this year at Daytona where a 5 year old was riding on the back of his dads bike. Just crazy to me

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Pulling a trailer is hard on motorcycles, even cruisers. If its light enough that you can muscle the wheels off the ground when its on the hitch, then most cruisers can take it OK but it still adds noticeable wear. Pulling anything with any remote weight I wouldn't recommend doing that with anything other then a goldwing frankly. I personally wont pull a trailer at all myself.

While I admit those trailers in that video are pretty cleaver your not thinking of something. One of those bikes is hyabusa and that "pink ninja" is repainted so it doesnt say the engine size but I can almost guarantee that if its not a liter its damn close. (Someone else here might know by looking at it).

A 600cc bike like you or I have wont pull a trailer for dick. Torque pulls weight not HP, and the power numbers on a ZZR600 is opposite of that. Its going to be almost impossible to get moving and once you do the added weight is going to cause a significant resistance to the bike since its a low Torque, High HP engine.. Your going to burn out your clutch, burn crap loads of gas, and the engine is going to run hot.

I just wouldn't do it with the type of bike your thinking of.

·
Veteran Lowsider
20,840 Posts
sportbike + towing large items = fish tail of death followed by jack knife

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The pink bike is a zx9r. The trailer and gear would weigh less than the average passenger. It's only a bad idea if you are retarded about it.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
Well, if you are convinced it's a good idea just go for it then. Personally, I think it's a bad idea, but it sounds like you already have your mind made up.

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
The pink bike is a zx9r. The trailer and gear would weigh less than the average passenger. It's only a bad idea if you are retarded about it.
Nope, it's a bad idea no matter what.

Leme sum up:

When you brake, the rear end lightens up significantly as the majority of the stopping power is in the front. With the light rear end being pushed forward by a trailer, you have a rear wheel which is not solidly planted and is being acted on by a trailing force with no stopping power that will want to jack your rear up and lever it to either side. It is really a bad idea.

This is less so for cruisers with the weight and braking being shifted more toward the rear, but it's still not very safe.

Drive a car or get some saddlebags.

·
Strat - the Asian edition
13,060 Posts
I don't think this is a good idea, especially with a four banger. As I'm sure you're well aware, you don't really get your power until high up on the RPMs and you'll need that power to tow.

Cruisers being two bangers get their power down low which is more suitable for towing.

Not to mention, towing with a bike? Just sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

·
Registered
38 Posts
^^^^That looks more like a baby seat than a trailer.^^^^

Reminds me of when I went to bike week this year at Daytona where a 5 year old was riding on the back of his dads bike. Just crazy to me
What's wrong with a small kid riding on the back of their parent's bike? I rode on the back of my dad's bike since I was 3, he just installed high mounted foot pegs and had me hold onto his belt while we were riding. I'm now 20 and have my own bike. Clearly it's not as unsafe as you make it out to be if I was able to survive 17 years doing it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I really do not like the idea of having anything attached to the back of the bike that can push or pull the back end around.
When you brake, the rear end lightens up significantly as the majority of the stopping power is in the front. With the light rear end being pushed forward by a trailer, you have a rear wheel which is not solidly planted and is being acted on by a trailing force with no stopping power that will want to jack your rear up and lever it to either side.
These. Even cars have a hard time towing safely. Some light trucks too, for that matter. Though those cases are usually people trying to tow more than the truck's rated for.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Packing the weight like an across the continent rider would be a lot safer, similar to the weight of a passenger but a little further back:

ULTIMATE JOURNEY.COM -- Motorycycles

·
fap-o-caster
50,488 Posts
weight is one thing, it will totally alter the handling and steering characteristics of the bike. Bad idea imho.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
OMG that borders on insanity : / I hope they upgraded the brakes on that thing.

Blut Like I said before.. I'd only trust a goldwing to pull a trailer without issue and theres a reason the bike in that vid is a goldwing. Regular cruisers can do it but it wears them down.

I still say pulling a trailer on a 600cc sport bike is going to fail horribly.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
The trailors in that first video? Yikes! First of all... do not tow with a sport bike. Second.. if you do. That design is FAIL! Half the extra weight is on the back of the bike. Move the trailor tire under the middle of the trailor. That way you add no weight to the bike. And lastly... do not tow with a sportbike.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts