Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
at last!!! The mods I've been waiting for, for a while, have got to me!

I've had the bike dyno'd, but the reading was 108rwhp stock, which judging by other posts, could be a tad optimistic. So, I'm going to get it done again before the toys are installed, then again after they're on.

So any guesses on the increase overall? I'm guessing 5-8hp

The bike is stripped at the moment too, no fairings at all. I laid it down last year and got scuffed up on the right. The stone chips all over the front too, I decided to take it all off to get it resprayed (orange before anyone asks) then go nuts with protective film (good stuff, not the dull stuff). And while it's naked, I'm gonna get in every nook and granny to clean the lot, and a new chain to boot.

So all that with the mods done already (EBC HH pads, 5.1 fluid (lines to come), $$$$ on suspension mods (damper to come)), the bike will be awesome for the NZ summer when it gets here!!! [:p]

just want to get it all on now and out the gargre!!!

Next mod: 05/06 636 cams [:M20]

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, the 05/06 use the cams that are sold as the 'tune up' options for the 03/04 bikes. But instead of paying Kawa for the cams, might as well find a wrecked bike to get them out of and pay a little less for preloved parts

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
i was thinking about this.ya know how the 03/04s have more power down low and midrange,would putting the 05/06 cams in make you lose all that and gain high end?im not willing to trade my low and midrange power for some high end.i like how mine powerwheelies at low revs and my buddys 05s dont do that.so id like more power from cams but dont wanna lose all that to get the top end.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
The 03/04/05/06 cams will not work in a 02 as the 03/04/05/06 cam has a cam position sensor reluctor ring on it that the 00/02 motor does not have. Different head design as well.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
been thru this bit about the cams..

Go check the Kawi parts site, and write down the part numbers for the performance cams for the 03/04 636, then go and check out the stock cams for the 05/06 636. They've the same. No two different parts would have the same part number.

As for the gain, I have no idea. There's no where that has a dyno to show where the improvements are with the new cams. What it lacks low down might be able to be made up with the PC or something else, but that's if it does drop the low range power, which I don't think it would. But who knows.
Besides, if they don't work, then I just take them out..

Oh, and all this came from Road Rash, delivered to a mates bro' in MA, USA, then my mate was on the way there and brought back these goodies with him. Cheapest place I found the lot, and was good to deal with too. By comparison, if I had gone to my local shop to buy all this, it would have cost me ~NZ$1800

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I know the cams are the same for the 05/06 year versus the 03/04 race cams. His question was if the 05/06 cams would fit in a 02 motor.

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
did you say DOT 5.1?
not so sure thats a good idea for your bike, being your brke system was not made for it and it will mess your seals up and cause you some issues...stick with the recommended DOT4 and not have to worries about possible issues to come...

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
nothing wrong with 5.1.. DOT 4 got too hot under the brakes too fast and fades. Don't want that.. It gets changed every 6 months with new fresh stuff, and if there was ever a problem with the cylinder, then I'll just change the internals. No probs.. But so far, it's never been a problem

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.