Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my first track experience at penguin racing school and well, I'm hooked. The street just cant offer me the same excitement as the track did. However, I cant just give up street completely, and I cant afford a second track bike, so is it feasable to use the same bike for both? I figure once you get everything wired it would just be a matter of switching from street bodywork to track bodywork. It might be a lot of work everytime, but what can you do. Anyone got any input on this? Thanks

Richie

·
Registered
474 Posts
plenty of people do this. might be easier to just get track plastics, that way when you take the stock plastics off, most of the lights come off with it, etc...

·
Registered
334 Posts
Well, if you are just going to be doing track days, I dont think you will need to do the extra work to change everything out, unless you dont want to ruin your bodywork in the event of a get off, but on what your gonna spend on getting the bike track ready might be the same to buy another track bike, im sure you can find one at a reasonable price if your patient.
Just my opinion.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well if I wasnt clear, racing is the way I want to go next summer. So it would have to be safety wired and all that, I could keep the stock plastics on, but it might be worth it to get race bodywork. And maybe its just the time of the year, but every bike I see is relatively expensive, and I cant find a whole lot of bikes with cosmetic damage, and dont feel comfortable buying a fixing a wrecked bike.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I'm in the same situation as you and I setup my bike for the track with race body work, wired ect... and then added lights that are really easy to remove when I'm going to the track. Takes about 15 minutes to go from street bike to track bike just need to remove the mirror, inner fairing covers (homemade), signals, tail light, license plate and headlights which all come off easily without remove any fairing other than the tail.

I don't have any good pics of the bike but here's two snaps I took with my shitty phone cam and one pic from on track.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I plan on using my mine for both as well. I'm looking at picking up a set of Tromex race plastics to switch on for the track. You should be able to have the race plastics on in about 45min; which is worth it IMO to save your street plastics in the event you have an accident.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Very few track day providers require safety wiring, and those that do only ask the oil drain and maybe the oil filter be wired.

I have run bikes on both the street and track for years. I do suggest you wire the oil drain plug and oil filter.

If you do crash it ends up costing a bit more.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Food for thought if you're still financing your bike: I called my insurance company (State Farm) before I did my first track day last year. They said they would cover my bike on a track day, because they considered it a school to learn how to ride. I even showed her the website to Ridesmart and she still agreed it would be covered. What they don't cover though, are timed events, like races. Last thing you want is a totaled bike that in not insured, while still making payments.

Oh, and it only takes me about an hours to switch out my plastics. After you do it a couple of times it gets easier. One thing that shaves my time is the fact that I have a windscreen just for my race plastics. That saves me the trouble of having to remove those f***ing rubber well nuts!

·
Registered
184 Posts
you could just get an upper and lower for the track and tape off the stuff in the rear, thats what i do, done it for 2 years on my R1 and now i have the 636, i plan on doing the same. took about 30 mins to switch the body work completely..

·
Registered
648 Posts
I've been thinking about this as well. you might want to pick up an extra set of wheels to keep race rubber on if you plan on using your streetbike for both. If you plan to race, the cheapest in the long run would be to buy someone's old race bike. By the time you buy all the crap to switch over your streetbike to a race bike every weekend, you'll be approaching the cost of a used racebike. Not to mention the extra miles/wear and tear on your streetbike will lower the resale value significantly. Plus you don't have to carry insurance on a racebike (or even register it). A guy I know bought a race prepped '01 gsxr600 with full ohlins suspension for about $4000 two years ago. Your best deal would be to find someone who is getting out of racing and is trying to dump all their stuff (tools, trailer, tirewarmers, etc...) Go to trackdays and ask around if anyone is selling. I am planning to do a few trackdays on my streetbike with taped lights and street tires, and then save up for a used racebike.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If I wasnt clear in my original post, I was hoping to race next season, so it would have to be fully wired and all that goodness. Right now I was thinking just buy a set of sharkskinz or hotbodies or whatever, and just do the work every other weekend to switch it out. I would love to buy a spare track bike for the reasons above, less work, less wear and tear, and that, but money flow comes and goes because of school and such, so its not often I have even remotely close to 4000 dollars saved up at any one time to buy a bike. I'm just trying to deal with the cards I'm given right now, so what can ya do.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I hear ya, I'm at school right now too and would love to race next summer. But funds are too tight and i will probably just go to a few trackdays until I graduate and get some real income to buy a spare bike. One thing that I always hear about racing: if you have to ask how much, then you can't afford it. goodluck man!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Haha, we both just hafta look on the bright side, once school is over, thats a HUGE salary jump to buy a track bike and lots and lots of track days, so its worth delaying having a track bike for another year to get that.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I know, I can't wait. I'm really close to taking on massive dept just so I can get to the track before the end of the year. I was all set to be finished with classes in the spring and then do a paid internship through the summer and fall. I had planned to buy another bike with the money. Now, the college changed the requirements for my major and I have to take classes next fall as well. It looks like im going to have to go another summer without getting to the track.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yah, my school screwed me this semester hard, so it looks like I wont be finishing up until the summer if I'm lucky. Fortunatly, I work full time as well as school, so track money would be available regardless. Unfortunatly 4 days before I did the school I bought myself a 42" plasma, so that ended my track hopes for this summer anyway. Had I known how much fun the track was, Id still be rocking the 13" tv and hitting the track this weekend.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.