Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys just needed some advice! I recently purchased the motogp corkscrew jacket (white and black in color) for track days!

If I could get your advice on the recommendations for gear below

Gloves - Any style preferably not to bulky. Looking to spend around $50 or less

Boots - Would like some light boots. I would like to have a lot of "feel" around the gear shift. With workboots and such I feel more uncomfortable with the gear shift because I can't feel it shift up or down as much. (Sorry im picky:D )

Pants - Because the track requires that I have a suit that is either one piece or two piece that zips together. When wearing a two piece it has to zip all the way around the pants so it can't have a 10 or 8 inch zipper. Now, instead of limiting my options I could just buy pants and take them to a tailor to have the other half of the zipper from the jacket installed. (The zipper on the jacket came with both parts.) The problem with pants for me is that I have an extremely small waist. My actual waist measures about 26in so finding pants for me is hard. Pants with a 30in waist can sit on my hips, but I notice all track day leather pants come a little above my hips which is how they are supposed to fit.

Anything else that you would recommend or tips for track days I will highly appreciate! :)

·
Registered
3,845 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Your gloves are going to have to be gauntlets, and I don't think you're going to find ones that'll actually protect you for $50. I have some $75 Sedici gauntlets, but there's no scaphoid protection, no pinkie protection, etc. So I don't wear them.

I don't know much about two piece suits. I saved up and bought a full suit, rented ones through the various track day companies until I could afford to buy one.

Depending on the agency, boots are at the very minimum required to be over the ankle. Race boots are going to give you less feedback, but that's because of the increased protection. It may seem a little clunky at first, but after wearing them consistently you'll soon realize that you get plenty of feedback while shifting. Plus, just like the rest of the gear, if you go down you're going to want the heaviest boots you can find. That's why you're wearing all that gear anyways, for when/if you go down, not just to fulfill the rules!

·
fap-o-caster
50,488 Posts
Get a back protector too while you're at it. You get one spine....protect it. Don't just utilize the CE foamy 'back protector' insert found in many jacket/suit pockets. Get hard back protector.

One rule I've always abided by, don't skimp on two things....gear and tyres. Your ass is riding and depending on both you want the best for each.

Boots, you're going to want full on race boot that covers you up to the mid lower leg. Anything less is not going to be worth it at all. I prefer Sidi vortice. This is another area you don't want 'light duty' piece of equipment. Over the ankle and lower leg protection is a must. In a lowside at a trackday if you're leg / foot is pinned under the bike you want the boot to do its job. Trust me on this, I had my 6r lowside in the kitty litter and it fell on my lower leg. I had to wait for a marshall to come over as from my vantage point I couldn't get enough leverage to lift the bike to free my foot/leg. I walked away and rode the instructors bike back to the pits as they rode my damaged one. Without a good boot, my foot would have been smashed.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Hey guys just needed some advice! I recently purchased the motogp corkscrew jacket (white and black in color) for track days!

If I could get your advice on the recommendations for gear below

Gloves - Any style preferably not to bulky. Looking to spend around $50 or less

Boots - Would like some light boots. I would like to have a lot of "feel" around the gear shift. With workboots and such I feel more uncomfortable with the gear shift because I can't feel it shift up or down as much. (Sorry im picky:D )

Pants - Because the track requires that I have a suit that is either one piece or two piece that zips together. When wearing a two piece it has to zip all the way around the pants so it can't have a 10 or 8 inch zipper. Now, instead of limiting my options I could just buy pants and take them to a tailor to have the other half of the zipper from the jacket installed. (The zipper on the jacket came with both parts.) The problem with pants for me is that I have an extremely small waist. My actual waist measures about 26in so finding pants for me is hard. Pants with a 30in waist can sit on my hips, but I notice all track day leather pants come a little above my hips which is how they are supposed to fit.

Anything else that you would recommend or tips for track days I will highly appreciate! :)
my advice: don't skimp on gear or you will pay for it in flesh.

go somewhere and get fitted, even if you don't plan on buying from that place. the best gear doesn't work worth a shit if it doesn't fit you properly

helmet: snell or ece rated. check the build date as they have a shelf life. generally speaking, that life is 5yrs from the date of manufacture. this is probably the most important piece to have properly fitted by someone who knows what they're doing. see the helmet expert in the shop for this.

leathers: 1piece or 2piece work fine. (i have one of each) i recommend that a 2piece be bought as a set and not pieced together later. i have seen them split in a crash before, so i'd lean towards a 1piece suit. make sure you have proper shin protection (hard plastic is preferred). you'd be surprised at the suits that miss this simple thing and taking a foot peg to the shin will make you cry like a baby. also, i like to check that the elbows and knees have lots of padding and hard plastic in as many places as possible. lots of choices for suits, but i prefer alpinestars and dianese.

boots: look for coverage of the ankle for impacts as well as twisting, rolling and flexing up and down (i know there's a medical term for these movements, i just don't know them) that said, sidi makes a FANTASTIC boot. i have an older model (vertigo air). i also have a set of alpinestars super tech r boots. they are very comfortable, very sturdy and even tho i can't comment on how well they crash (yet) i can say that i see a LOT of them at the track this year. that many riders can't be wrong. i did slide a LONG way on the sidis and they held up fine.

gloves: full gauntlet gloves are what you need. it is (in my opinion) crucial to find a glove that not only protects, but can take multiple crashes without terminal damage PLUS be comfortable and provide excellent feel of the controls. (hint: when you try these on at the shop, walk over to a bike, sit on it and grip the controls to see how you like them). you skimp here and you may end up with a glove that looks great, but splits apart on impact and wrecks your hand permanently. i like knox handroid or biomech and held phantom or titan. spend money here and you will be able to flip me the bird 10yrs from now.

undersuit: this is what goes on underneath your leathers so that they are easier to remove when you're all sweaty at the end of the day. this is one area that you can afford to be frugal if you like. i've found that the mta-pro stuff that lower-end sports equipment stores sell work just as good as the fancy under-armor brand stuff. shirt and pants are what i use, but some places have "cycleskin" brand that seem to be preferred by many riders and they're not very expensive. i've never used fancy socks as my regular sports socks work just fine, but there are choices out there if you got some cash to spend. performance wool may be worth it as it will have great wicking properties. i use them for mountain biking and they are nice (not sure why i never thought of using them at the race track, hmmm)

back/chest protection: IMO, you NEED this. in my world, this is not an option. wayne rainey is paralyzed now because of a simple fall where he hit the gravel trap funny and broke his spine. i imagine taking a clip-on or rearset to the chest is no fun, either. knox has some good products. so does alpinestars. i have the knox gillet-air vest which has back and chest protection all in one.

good luck!

s3aturnr

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow guys! I wasn't expecting this much feedback you guys are great! I've learned a lot already. I think that instead of me trying to work a two piece suit, that I am just going to go ahead and get a one piece.

Another question.. How do I know what is good as far as protection? Not in the suit, but seperate protection? I see an Alpinestars back protector for 130 and then I see another for for 40? Is it just the weight of it and material or what?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
I would look at customer reviews. Sometimes you're just paying for the name, and there's sometimes that the cost is indicative of a subpar product. I have a Knox spine protector I got on closeout for like $35, and I went with it only because I know Knox has a good reputation for armor.

Probably the best one you can get is the Forcefield Sub 4 spine protector. My friend has one and he raves about how comfortable it is, never mind it's obvious how much protection it affords. It's pricey, but walking is priceless!

Forcefield Pro Sub 4 Back Protector | Forcefield Body Armour

·
Registered
448 Posts
Revzilla has good video reviews. If you come with specific brands/models of gear the guys here will help you out. I had some questions about boots and gloves and they steered me in the right direction.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
back protector
sweat gear
full race leathers
popup canopy
chair
lots of water
HEALTHY snacks
a friend
boots
gloves
helmet
tool set
CASH

Don't go cheap. It'll suck and you wont have a good time

·
Registered
216 Posts
A stand alone back protector is pretty much mandatory with track day organizers. Those $40 inserts will not cut it. Also, I would not skimp on gloves or boots as you're hands and feet will most likely be banging around in the event of a crash. I would put off that $200 track day until you can accumulate some decent gear. A pop up tent and a couple chairs for you and a buddy are also a necessity, you'll enjoy your day so much more if you are fully prepared.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm selling a two piece suit that zips together. Used it for one track day size 42 jacket & medium/34 (I wear 32 but this fits me great) pants. PM me if you are interested.

Definitely don't skimp out on gloves. My buddy crashed @ 90mph on the track and his "cheapo" $60 gloves failed. Had naaasty roadrash on his palm.
Sliders on gloves are a must for me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts