Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Anyone interested in a track day at PMI in Pueblo Colorado on Monday the 16th or 23 of june? I havn't checked on price this year, but last year it was $45 for 1/2 days, but we always paid $45 and ran all day. This is nothing organized and there is no safety crew there. It is very informal and we are on our own for rules and safety. The track is never crowded and you can get in a whole lot of laps. Usually a few people who race MRA will be there and the ones I know will help out the rookies. If there is any interest I'll set it up...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Not much interest generated with the last post, but I'll post this here anyway. Monday 30-Jun-03 Track day at PMI. The track opens at 1:00PM.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PMI Pueblo 30-Jun-03

Well, Ok, so I’m slow.
I had a whole lot of fun anyway. The RR is a world of difference from my last bike, an RC51 Honda. The two main differences are the weight, about 100 pounds less for the RR, and the power delivery. The RC had gobs of torque. The RR revs to the moon. The weight difference was easy to get used to. The RR is FAR easier to handle. It is way less tiring to ride fast, and I can only attribute this to the lighter weight. The power thing is harder to get used to. The RC didn’t care as much what gear it was in coming out of the corners. With the RR you absolutely have to be in the right gear.
Anyway after the comparisons are over, the RR is just flat fun to ride. I ended up all by myself at PMI in Pueblo. This allowed me to ride with no distractions and no pressure. I started feeling out the bike slowly. I didn’t wind it up, just cruised around getting to know the RR. After settling in I found I could carry a lot more speed further into the corners. The light weight of the RR allows for much later breaking than I am used to. At first I’d find myself sitting up and braking way too early and being amazed at how fast we could slow down.
The stock tires worked better than I expected. I hadn’t had time to swap on race rubber due to the zoo at Apex Sports from the Pikes Peak Hill Climb racers all being there changing tires. I had no traction problems at all either on or off the gas. I only slid around a tiny bit when I ran over crud on the track. If the track had been cleaner I doubt I would have had any slippage at all.
This brings me back to the point that I am really slow. The best lap time I could come up with was a 1.56. The fast guys I know told me that 1.36 to 1.40 is fast. So here comes my excuses. The “key hole” (hair pin turn , turn 8 I think) was slimed with dried up mud. I tried borrowing a broom and sweeping it off, but I couldn’t get the dirt totally off. I know I was loosing quite a bit of time through there, but I didn’t want to fall down. I also could have carried speed a lot further into turn 1 off the main straight. I was being too much of a wuss there. Being in the wrong gear a lot also slowed me down. That will just take some seat time to get it right. The small motor really needs to be at higher rpm’s than I’m used to. I definitely need to buzz it more to go faster.
All in all I’m very happy with the RR. Should I have gotten a 636 instead? Nope. The slipper clutch works. I’ve ridden bikes without one and I need all the help I can get, getting into a corner faster without dragging the back wheel on the down shifts. Any of the other 600’s would probably work equally as well, but I’ve always been partial to Kawi green.
I’ll probably never be fast fast, but I’m not in it for the glory, just for fun. The RR has the fun factor there in spades…

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really don't care what the numbers are other than to judge myself, against myself. I will never be real fast. I don't want to push it that hard. I have absolutly no desire to race. I really just go out there to learn to be a better rider. I work on being smooth and being good enough to not be a danger to the good guys who are out there. I know I can easily get down to the 1.50 even range. Just pushing through the keyhole harder and coming out of the other corners in the right gear will do that. On a good day I might edge into the high 1.40's but that's probably my limit. I have nothing to prove other than to myself. I don't care if people think I'm slow. I am slow and that's ok. I've ridden with some of the local fast guys before. Two of them came out onto the track after I had already been out for a few laps. While they were taking a couple laps to warm up their tires, I could keep them behind me and I was pushing as hard as I could. After they warmed up they blew by me like I threw out an anchor. Of course that was on my RC. I never got a lap time on that bike. I really think the ZX6 is faster, for me anyway. Track days , for me, are just the most fun I have ever had on a street bike. Legally doing a buck fifty is just too cool. You get a few people you really trust ,go out there and play and it is just a thrill...

·
Registered
159 Posts
The next time you go give me a heads up. I just got my 6R and havn't taken it to the track yet. I know a couple of other people who would like to go also.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi all,
4-Aug-03 Track opens at 1:00pm... $45
A few from the MRA will be there. Their next race the following weekend is at PMI.
My pit crew is preping my bike today, so I'll be there...

I always wanted to say something like that and it sounds cool, but the truth is a friend who races in the MRA wanted to try my bike, and he refused to do that on stock tires, so he and my son, who both work at Apex Sports are going to take the bike to work and change the oil, and swap on a set of better tires. Hopefully they will take my bike to the track for me also, so I can just show up like the pro's do...
(-:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Here are 2 places that organize track days in Colorado:

http://www.trackdaze.com

http://www.trackaddix.com

We usually go to PMI every month or so. Go on a Tue, Wed, or Thu, no one else will be there and you can get a whole day in for $75. I usually do close to 200 miles on the track at each track day. I can't get enough of it. Riding without worrying about the cops, traffic, sand, or how much noise you make is the greates experience.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Looks like Track Daze allows textiles. If so, I'm up for one of the slow days (I'm shy). Let me know when and I'll try to tag along.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Monday was a kick,,,
Eight of us showed up. Four MRA regulars, and five non-racers like myself. My plan was simple, to just work on my form and try and stay on two wheels. We had put on a set of Michelin pilots so I took the first couple laps real easy. I’ve never run slicks before and the whole feel of the RR was different. Just sitting, it felt like someone had kicked it in the butt. The whole bike sits different with the tail higher than on stock rubber. It turns in quicker due to this stance also. After a couple slow laps and then a few more I felt real confident and really wicked it up. I have NEVER gone that fast at PMI. I mean scary fast. Fast enough that the compression on my chubby body going down into the dip between 4 and 5 was uncomfortable. Had to be pulling a couple , three “G”s there. I’d carry more speed into the sweeper at one than ever. After these confidence building laps I clicked on the lap timer and burned off 5 laps at “crap, I’m going to crash” speeds. My best were down in the 1.50’s. 6 seconds off my previous best. I backed off from there and found I can now crank off 1.55- 1.56’s all day long comfortably… I’m not saying I’m fast here. Fast is in the 1.39-1.40 that the MRA guys were running. The last session of the day I followed the fastest guy there down the front straight. I was determined to not brake until he did. I think I saw God toward the end. (-: (They always told me “Hold the throttle wide open until you see God, then brake for turn 1.”) Anyway I held on and didn’t back off until he did. Un #$%#!! believable!!! He made the first turn,,, I went straight down the rest of the drag strip run off… I’m not that brave… There is a real good reason he was 10 seconds faster then me… I doubt I’ll ever be that fast… )-:
But S#it I was having fun. I got a knee down on the pavement several times. I’ve never done that before. I really worked on getting it all right, and while I still havn’t got it anywhere near totally right, I got quite a bit faster. I picked on a rookie on an 03 RR Honda all afternoon. I could blow by him at will, almost anywhere on the track. The best part is I can now back down to very safe, comfortable levels and still be pretty fast for a street guy… The day was a real learning experience and a good skill builder. I can’t wait to do it again…

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.