Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched but didn't find anything susbstantial. I'm thinking about getting onto the track and am interested in going to a racing school to learn how to do it "safely." I checked out the events schedule of a few tracks near me and determined that there are three organizations who teach classes out there and don't just do trackdays.

Here's what I found for 1-day schools:

1. California Superbike School: I've read a lot of good stuff about them. ~$500 http://www.superbikeschool.com/

2. Ed Bargy Racing Services: Never heard anything about them. Supposedly at the end of the school, you can pass a test and be Full Race Certified (which would be cool, but I know a first timer wouldn't be ready to actually race). Seems pretty legit. ~$375 http://edbargyracingschool.com/index.html

--
"Full, Advanced School. This is for the first time Ed Bargy students. Student don't need to be advanced riders to take this course. Students wishing to improve their skills, will learn the advanced and proper riding techniques. Graduates will be Full Race Certified by passing the written test at the end of the day, demonstrating a reasonable grasp of the techniques covered and reasonably good lap times. Graduates not meeting these requirements are issued a Nonracing Trackday Certification. This NTC will give the graduate opportunity to attend trackdays and improve his/her skills. The NTC can be upgraded to a full race certification at any future EBRS trackday"
3. RPM Track School: Never heard anything about them. ~$150. Seems more like just a track day organization than an actual school (especially with the pricing).
Does anyone have any insight on one of these schools? I guess I'm particularly asking about Bargy's school. I live in southern Alabama and the three closest tracks that I know of are Barber, Little Talladega, and Jennings GP. If anyone knows of any other schools that I have overlooked that operate at those tracks, post them up.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Most race weekends there is a race school the day before on Friday if there is a practice/track day before the race weekend, or they have a race school on Saturday, if you pass you can race on Sunday.

Most of the classes teach you the basics of how to get on and off the track safely, flags etc. and dont really teach the technicques of 'racing'. They will touch on it but wont spend a ton of time on it. There is alot of info to squeez into the classroom time to spend a bunch of time on it, but they should touch on it.

Ed Bargys school is a very good one, TPM's as well is decent. Just make sure you are taking a class that will qualify you for a race license afterward, some schools aren't accepted by the race org's.

Check with CCS, WERA, or the other org's that race in your area for more details etc. on which are or arent accepted, and when they are offered.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I would recommend the Code school or Bargy either one. I've done the Code school (California Superbike School) and it was a great experience.

I've heard a lot of great things about Bargy. I know quite a few guys who have been. I will try his school out next year.

If you are just looking for some basic instruction on how to corner well and ride smooth and fast on a track, either one will be great. Sportbike Track Time also has classes if you sign up for Novice that will do the same thing for you for free (just the cost of the track day)

If you are looking to get into racing, you probably want to look into Bargy a little more.

For your location, I would say that without a doubt you should go to Barber.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah racing sounds like fun, but I don't see it happening for quite a while. I am still in school. I just want to learn how to drag a knee. I did read about STT and that they do offer some instruction, but how in-depth is it?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts