Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In an attempt to get my bike better setup for the track I am adjusting sag but I have a few ?'s.

current sag
R 26.5 - 2.5 clock wise turns from stock
F 39 - 4.5 CW turns from stock (about 1.5 lines showing)

I am happy with the rear but setting the front has me confused. I took 3 sag measurements increasing preload each time and the numbers increased from 38 to 38.5 to 39. I thought sag was supposed to decrease as preload increased. what am i doing wrong?

Please help me!!!!

BTW I weigh about 195 geared up

·
Registered
514 Posts
I cant answer your question but I can tell you what Ive done to mine. I had Jim Cambora of Raceworx in Cresson,Tx put traxxion in the forks and put a Penske on the rear. The bike is on rails.
-Gabe

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Front forks have "stiction" they will often read differently every time.

Best to set after the forks are warm from riding.

Bounce them up and down hard several times and let them settle. do the same each time you measure.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I made it through my first track event, Texas World Speedway was a blast! I learned so much about my bike and myself. Can't wait until the next event.

fork springs are on my to-do list and thanks for the tip Ernie, i'll give that a try.

·
Registered
108 Posts
There's another way to measure front rider sag that's a little more complicated and you'll need a couple friends to help. Get on your bike in a race tuck and have a friend(s) lift up on the bars and let it settle slowly, then take a measurement. Then, have them push down on the bars and let it settle slowly, then take another measurement. Add those 2 measurements together and divide by 2. That'll eliminate most of the stiction error. Same procedure can be done for rear sag too.

Nate

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i stumbled across that method from the sportrider site. i tried to follow it as close as i could but i was only able to round up one extra set of hands at the time. i ended up balancing as best as i could while my friend did the press down/lift up trick.

ill give it anoght shot once the new springs are in. for now it is good enough.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.