Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of signing up for a track day in Aug. I know that it will be 90+ degrees maybe even 100 since its far out there (buttonwillow) I never riding at that temp before I do not want to pass out on the track. What do you guys think about this? I know the AMA and MotoGP guys race in these types of weather.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I took the CSS school at Road Atlanta when it was 97 degrees. No big deal on the track. WHat wiped you out was waiting in full leathers in the sun for the next session.

After the second session, we were all feeling the heat. We were all handed a gallon of water and potassium pills. When we got up to the tower for the next class, most had nearly emptied the jugs. We were all thinking "We're not gonna last". But the water kicked in and we were fine before the next session.

Dring plenty of water and Gatorade before and after each session. You should be fine. I had heard the sport drinks were a farse as you don't need all the salts (potassium, sodium) it has unless your are an athelete. Well, this is once case where you do need it.

Stay away from caffeine and of course alcohol for the day before as they dehydrate you.

I would hate to be the guy that had to put away or clean the dozens of leathers we rented at the end of the day. They were probably real ripe ;)

·
Registered
571 Posts
The important thing to remember about doing anything in the heat is to start hydrating yourself the night before. Do this by drinking water, save the Gatorade for after and a little during your activities. While you're out there remember to continue to drink water. Gatorade won't hydrate you or keep you hydrated like water will. Use Gatorade to supplement the water you drink throughout the day. A rule I use for myself when riding in the heat, which is every day this time of year, is to drink at least 20 ounces of water every hour. It works well. I ride home in 110F temperatures during rush hour traffic all week long. When I take my jacket off in the garage it is drenched in sweat but I'm still feeling good enough to continue with other daily activities.

For your sports drink stick to Gatorade, I think all of the others have high fructose corn syrup in them. Try to stay away from that whenever you can.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Power Bar makes a Power Gel that comes in little squeeze packets. They're about $1.50 +- each at GNC or where ever. They seem to be pretty good. They are to be taken with water also. Suck down one or 2 before you get out there. Doing them after your beat is too late. Bring a fan if there is elec. Once you get going on the track yoiu'll cool off. Hope you have perf leathers!!! If you start feeling a little bit dizzy, don't go back out!!!

·
Registered
759 Posts
Hydrate or die. You should be drinking so much water that you're peeing between almost every session. If your pee isn't clear, you're not drinking enough. Cramps, headaches and mental fuzziness come from getting de-hydrated. Not good on a bike, especially at a track day. One moment of inattention and you can be flying off the track into the gravel trap.

·
yut uuuuugh!
5,344 Posts
I had heard the sport drinks were a farse as you don't need all the salts (potassium, sodium) it has unless your are an athelete. Well, this is once case where you do need it.

It's true. Your body really doesn't need all the electrolytes that are present in Gatorade/Powerade/etc. if you are not excersising; it could actually put your body into minor shock (nothing you would actually "feel", but still your body knows). However, in this case you are sweating, which causes a loss of electrolytes. So the powerdrinks are good hear.
Speaking as a competition cyclist, the powergels are good, but they also have a butt-load of carbs in them, so if you're just going for hydration go the gatorade route. Also, I would suggest having a mix of gatorade to water in equal portions (1:1). That helps your body absorb the salt(s) and retain the water.

Hope you have fun man! I'm dying to get out to a track day. I think the closest ones to me are the Pocono speedway and Loudin (sp?), NH (1.5 and 3+ hrs respectively).

Oh yeah, one last thing. You are also going to want to have a good calcium intake. Sweating causes a loss of calcium, and your body being geared strickly towards survival will strip calcium from your bones if it needs calcium. That's a bad thing. Repetitve loss of calcium (via sweating) without any kind of jarring motion (impact that intitiates bone growth) causes a lowered bone density. Just another thing to worry about:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.