Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems the AMA has decided traction control is now legal in the AMA road racing series.

For superbike and formula extreme, it doesn't list any restrictions
For supersport and superstock, you can do it, but have to use only OEM sensors.

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2006/Jul/060717tc.htm

This is cool, maybe we'll see these standard in couple years.

·
Registered
430 Posts
This should make things a bit more interesting.

Btw, anyone notice the comments a couple weeks ago in motogp? Stoner is one of the few that refuses to use launch control, but if you watch both of his starts in the catalunya race, he passes everyone on the launch.

So yea, the computers aren't always perfect, but this will deffinately push the technology forward and I hope to see it in the production bikes soon.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
its has proven so efficent for cars on the road, i think it will make bike much safer.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I think its a good thing for future street sales, but terrible for the future of racing AMA. No way privateers can afford it. They need to make the Superbike and FX class factory only, and leave Superstock and Supersport to the privateers. Its time for Yamaha to grow some nuts and get in Superbike with the other factory teams, and get out of FX where there is no factory squad.

·
Un-Stealth Administrator
8,215 Posts
Yay, now Suzuki won't have to hide it anymore! hehehe

The problem with TC is that it's always used for performance in racing, but when it trickles down to the street it's tuned for safety, not keeping the vehicle at the edge of traction without slipping all the way. I don't know if the US DOT, at least, would approve a performance-oriented TC system for road use.

·
Premium Member
5,830 Posts
Wow. And it's even effective immediately. I wonder how much better lap times will be. It'll be interesting to see if Team Suzuki continues to dominate, since many claim they've been running traction control.

Originally posted by Daryl 636
I def. think this will trickle down to the local showrooms within 2-3 years if not sooner.
I'm not sure. I've been waiting for steering dampers to "trickle down" onto the 6R's, but Kawasaki has yet to do it. Maybe we'll see something in 07.

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by senfo
Wow. And it's even effective immediately. I wonder how much better lap times will be. It'll be interesting to see if Team Suzuki continues to dominate, since many claim they've been running traction control.

I'm not sure. I've been waiting for steering dampers to "trickle down" onto the 6R's, but Kawasaki has yet to do it. Maybe we'll see something in 07.
True, but once they have developed a traction control system, it's very cheap to implement, just a couple sensors and the rest is software.
A damper costs more, which may be why we don't see them on 600's yet.

·
Registered
452 Posts
especially with the mondo horsepower that the new literbikes are putting out, i've always thought that throttle by wire and other electronic rider aids are the next milestones to reach the next platform of performance. Unless you are damn near a ama racer, not many can extract the power out of a stock literbike on the track.

·
Premium Member
5,830 Posts
Originally posted by lgm118icbm
especially with the mondo horsepower that the new literbikes are putting out, i've always thought that throttle by wire and other electronic rider aids are the next milestones to reach the next platform of performance. Unless you are damn near a ama racer, not many can extract the power out of a stock literbike on the track.
I just hope that if "fly by wire" comes to bikes, that they implement it a lot better than they did my truck, in stock form. It's not usually a big deal in a truck, but the throttle response is delayed a good bit compared to the almost immediate response you get from a cable connected directly to the throttle body. A Mustang guy told me that I can modify the firmware to make it more like a cable, but I haven't bothered on my truck. But for any performance vehicle, I want the throttle response to be as near to my input as it can possibly be.

·
Registered
452 Posts

I just hope that if "fly by wire" comes to bikes, that they implement it a lot better than they did my truck, in stock form. It's not usually a big deal in a truck, but the throttle response is delayed a good bit compared to the almost immediate response you get from a cable connected directly to the throttle body. A Mustang guy told me that I can modify the firmware to make it more like a cable, but I haven't bothered on my truck. But for any performance vehicle, I want the throttle response to be as near to my input as it can possibly be.
The new r6's throttle is pretty sweet....

·
Premium Member
5,830 Posts
Originally posted by lgm118icbm
The new r6's throttle is pretty sweet....
Are they fly-by-wire? I'll have to check that out. This would be the first I've heard of that. There's a Yamaha dealer right down the road from me so I'll have to stop there on the way home.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts

Are they fly-by-wire? I'll have to check that out. This would be the first I've heard of that. There's a Yamaha dealer right down the road from me so I'll have to stop there on the way home.
What rock you been living under senfo? Just busting ya balls...but ya they are fly by wire. I've yet to try my buddys bike out yet, but now that hes put the first scratches on it lol I probably will next time we meet up...hes got the new R6..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.