Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well last week I traded my 05 636 in for an 06 zx10r. I have to admit, I kind of miss my 6 already. It was great in the twisties and was a lot of fun to rev the piss out of. I wish I still had her. But thats not to say I'm not extremely happy with the 10. The power down low is great and it handles quite well for being a lot bigger.

I just got back from Deals Gap yesterday and I had no problem carving it up on the big Kawi. I'm still getting used to her so I was kind of slow my first couple of runs through, but by the end of the day, we were working well together. I was probably faster on by 636 in the real tight stuff, but on the Cherohala Skyway and other roads around the Dragon, the 10 really flexed its muscles. This thing jumps out of the turns and is down right scary when you get to third gear. Only complaint I have is that I think the gearing is a little to tall, especially in first. It redlines at 100 mph in first!

To all the 636 guys out there, sorry but I sold out. I power was just too tempting. I'll still check out the zx6 forum from time to time but I'll probably be posting more in the 10 section now. Maybe I will get another 6 down the road and make a track bike out of it.

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
Not a sellout - normal progression... Be careful though; that 10 will bite you hard if you don't keep it reigned in tight.

Not surprising that you acclimated quickly; the 10 is almost as light as the 6's were jsut a few years ago, and makes tons more power, across the whole powerband.

Enjoy.

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
Most importantly....what color did you get? PLEASE tell me that it's the Pearl Solar Yellow aka Orange. That is the sweetest bike on the road today, IMHO. If it is the Orange one....pics please!! :D:D:D

I don't blame you at all....several years down the road I plan on doing the same thing. The only thing I'm concerned about is less handling in the twisties, but you say it isn't that much of a difference?

Redlines at 100mph in first? Well that's no fun....

Enjoy the new bike....and don't forget about the rest of us 636'ers [:p]

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by FightingFalcon
Most importantly....what color did you get? PLEASE tell me that it's the Pearl Solar Yellow aka Orange. That is the sweetest bike on the road today, IMHO. If it is the Orange one....pics please!! :D:D:D

I don't blame you at all....several years down the road I plan on doing the same thing. The only thing I'm concerned about is less handling in the twisties, but you say it isn't that much of a difference?

Redlines at 100mph in first? Well that's no fun....

Enjoy the new bike....and don't forget about the rest of us 636'ers [:p]
LOL, actually it is the yellow. Not my first choice in colors (either black or green), but it was the only one they had left. The color is definetely growing on me though, kinda like the magma red did on my old bike. I'll post some pics up soon.

Yeah, 100 mph in first. Inidicated at least, real speed probably lower. And yes it is still fun, the thing pulls from like 4k rpm to 13k redline, Tons-o-torque. Just twist hard at about 8k and the front wheel will come up easily. Its a lot different than doing wheelies on the 6 where it will jump up when you hit the powerband. The 10 comes up gradually, slow and smooth. I'm still trying to get the hang of second gear clutch ups on it. You are going so fast in second that it makes it kind of hard. I think I just gotta find the sweet spot on the tach.

I'm thinking about going up a couple teeth in the rear sprocket to make wheelies a little easier. I think it would make second gear a little better for tighter stuff too. Seems like the factory always gears their bikes too high stock. The 636 was the same way.

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
I was talking to a guy on a CBR1000RR a couple months ago and he said the same exact thing - with a liter bike, you don't even have to try and wheelie anymore. The thing just does it on its own. That's why I'm waiting to practice my wheelies until I get a liter bike. I've just heard way too many stories of guys looping on a 600cc bike and right now I can't afford more damage.

Which begs the question....why clutch it up in 2nd when you can naturally get it up in 1st? :D

So if redline at 100mph in 1st, what's 8k in 2nd? I would imagine around 70/80? *drool* Natural wheelies at 80mph....enjoy :D

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by FightingFalcon

Which begs the question....why clutch it up in 2nd when you can naturally get it up in 1st? :D

So if redline at 100mph in 1st, what's 8k in 2nd? I would imagine around 70/80? *drool* Natural wheelies at 80mph....enjoy :D
Well, throttle control is a little easier in second. But your right, you can do 80 mph wheelies in first so you don't really need second. I'm just use to clutching up second on my 636. I didn't like first gear power wheelies on it because by the time you got it up, you were at redline. But on the 10 you have plenty of revs left to get it up and ride em out.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I have had my 10 for a year after trading in my 636 for it. I love it and would never turn back. I am faster on the 10. It has a better suspension than my 36 636 had, carves the turns better and just flat outhandles the 636 I had.

I love the power on hand and the bike is very controllable, wheelies are easy and effortless. 1st gear ones are just simple, and 2nd or 3rd gear clutch ups are easy and very controllable as well.

Have fun and be safe and take it easy get used to it. Check out Zx-10r.net as they are really geared towards the 10.

·
ratherberiding
18,439 Posts
wow, pulled a Judas on the 636 huh? jk, careful about tradin up to bigger bikes....what's next....a Busa and a tan??

i just got the 636, so I should be satisfied for a few years, but who knows what liter bike will be hot then

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by joonyaboy
wow, pulled a Judas on the 636 huh? jk, careful about tradin up to bigger bikes....what's next....a Busa and a tan??

i just got the 636, so I should be satisfied for a few years, but who knows what liter bike will be hot then
Not interested in the busa, I'm into the twisties.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
I hate you for two reasons. First: You have a 10R. Second: You have recently been to the Gap.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Sweet bike, orange is my favorite color. I've tried two of them and they are ridiculous, although it does feel like you can ride all day in first gear. I hit 114 mph about 1/10th of a second after shifting into second. It's a big jump from my 9r... but its more likely to get stolen and not as comfortable so I still love the 9r :)

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Yeah, I'm jealous of that to. I can't wait to go to the dragon again!

Is the zx6r really that much more easy to handle in the twisties? I don't have much experience on either a zx6r or a zx10r, and when i try out someone elses bike I dont go as crazy as I would if I owned it.

I cant really remember if my 9r is easier to toss around than my zx6e. The 9r is a little more bulky, but supposedly it weighs a bit less as well. I went a few months in between without a bike so its hard to make a direct comparison.

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
ttt

don't think I've forgotten about this thread FLOJOE....I expect pics sometime in the near future :D:D

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by rockstar84
Yeah, I'm jealous of that to. I can't wait to go to the dragon again!

Is the zx6r really that much more easy to handle in the twisties? I don't have much experience on either a zx6r or a zx10r, and when i try out someone elses bike I dont go as crazy as I would if I owned it.

I cant really remember if my 9r is easier to toss around than my zx6e. The 9r is a little more bulky, but supposedly it weighs a bit less as well. I went a few months in between without a bike so its hard to make a direct comparison.
Its easier to handle but I don't want to make it sound like the 10 is a pig or anything. The bike handles great and feels perfectly at home in the twisties. But the weight and length differences are noticeable, at least to me.

I was at the dragon just a few weeks ago on the 636 and remember pretty clearly what it felt like, so I have a good reference point to base the difference on.

The bike was brand new to me though, I'll let you know how it feels when I go back in a few weeks. I should be more use to it by then.

·
Premium Member
11,912 Posts
I can't compare my 10 to a 636, but I can tell you that my 10 feels and handles better to me than my 2002 ZX-6. The added power and torque made it a lot smoother coming out of a turn.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
flojoe, your going back again in a couple of weeks? I really hate you now! ;)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.