Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 187 Posts

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I know this has probably been addressed, but I couldn't find my question in the search.

I'm buying a 250r sometime this week (possibly today if I can get this issue worked out and get moving in the next hour or so). My question is about loading it in a trailer. The trailer is a wooden trailer of my dad's that is used for work purposes. It's more than big enough obviously, but there are no ground hooks to tie it down on. The hooks all go along the outside along the top. Would it be safe to tie it down only to that, or is this going to spell trouble? Secondly, I don't have ratchet ties, but I have traditional tie downs we use to tie down lumber, pipes, etc.. Will those work fine or are they not going to have enough tension?

Thanks in advance.

· Registered
3,843 Posts
I wouldn't use anything other than ratchet straps. And tying down to the rails shouldnt be any problem.
-Cody

· Powerhungry
39,294 Posts
the shop that you're getting the bike from should have straps.

and yes, as said, tying to the rails shouldnt be an issue. i always use a 3rd, and sometimes a 4th strap on the rear. either on the wheel, going straight back. or 2 at the subframe, going back to the sides.

edit. that was assuming it was new and from a shop..
and yes those straps should be fine. just snug them down good.

· Registered
3,843 Posts
No way in hell I'd even attempt with those. Remember, the bike has a suspension. Unlike lumber, the bike is constantly going to be pushing AGAINST the straps. And every time you hit a bump its going to be slightly bouncing, like anything with a suspension will.

Seriously. Why buy a bike and then skimp out on the $20 for the correct straps at Harbor Freight.

This is my bike on my trailer strapped down. I have to do it a little weird because the tie downs are so low the straps would rub on the bike's paint if I didn't 'X' it. Normally, I just recommend tying the handlebars down in the front and the passenger pegs down in the back.

Then I just tie the excess strap off in random places. I didnt have the bolts in my seat, so most of the straps got tied over the seat to prevent it from flying off. It would've been too easy to just stick the seat in my truck...haha

-Cody

· Registered
3,843 Posts
DO NOT use those buckle straps. Use ratcheting straps and a canyon dancer.
+1 on the canyon dancer. I've heard nothing but good things. I need to get one. I'm sure it'd alleviate my problems of the straps rubbing the fairings.
-Cody

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not trying to skimp, which is why I asked here if I needed ratchet straps.

It is funny the mod of the forum is the one who told me the cinch straps were fine, whereas everyone else said they'd be a disaster waiting to happen.

· Ninja Bike Forum Mod
22,532 Posts
Cinch straps hold a lot of weight. But I would spend the couple extra $$ for a good ratchet strap any day.

· Powerhungry
39,294 Posts
I'm not trying to skimp, which is why I asked here if I needed ratchet straps.

It is funny the mod of the forum is the one who told me the cinch straps were fine, whereas everyone else said they'd be a disaster waiting to happen.
they sell those style straps right next to the ratchet straps. theyre even labled, and branded. its just a matter of how much you want to spend, and what style you want to use.

ive use that style for years without issues. theyre designed so the harder the load pulls, the harder the strap clamps down.

· Registered
3,843 Posts
ive use that style for years without issues. theyre designed so the harder the load pulls, the harder the strap clamps down.
and when the suspension on the bike decompresses due to bumps, the straps can get loose. I've seen those straps get loose carrying pipes before. No way I'd trust them on my bike.

they sell those style straps right next to the ratchet straps. theyre even labled, and branded. its just a matter of how much you want to spend, and what style you want to use.
They also sell cat food next to dog food. Just because its in the same category, doesn't mean its a direct substitute.
-Cody

· Premium Member
38,477 Posts
The problem I've always had with the lashing straps is that they eventually loosen after some miles. Maybe I got some bad ones but ratchet straps don't go anywhere. And they aren't that expensive.

Edit: damn, I'm slow responding lately. :p

· Powerhungry
39,294 Posts
and when the suspension on the bike decompresses due to bumps, the straps can get loose. I've seen those straps get loose carrying pipes before. No way I'd trust them on my bike.
how would they get any loser than a ratchet strap? the suspension is going to move just the same. the suspension shouldnt be moving if you have it strapped correctly.

you dont have to trust them. but, as i already said ive used them for YEARS. and, they sell them next to the ratchet straps, and tie downs. for the SAME purpose. comparing it to pet food isnt even close to the same thing.

maybe you guys used shitty straps. :dunno: mine were always fine. not the little cheapy things. and, those style of straps are NOT good to be used on a solid load. its needs to have some spring to it, so you can CINCH it down.. I/E bike suspension. so ofcourse they wouldnt work carrying pipe. you wouldnt ever be able to get them tight.

used correctly, those straps will be fine.

· fap-o-caster
50,585 Posts
No way in hell I'd even attempt with those. Remember, the bike has a suspension. Unlike lumber, the bike is constantly going to be pushing AGAINST the straps. And every time you hit a bump its going to be slightly bouncing, like anything with a suspension will.

Seriously. Why buy a bike and then skimp out on the $20 for the correct straps at Harbor Freight.

This is my bike on my trailer strapped down. I have to do it a little weird because the tie downs are so low the straps would rub on the bike's paint if I didn't 'X' it. Normally, I just recommend tying the handlebars down in the front and the passenger pegs down in the back.

Then I just tie the excess strap off in random places. I didnt have the bolts in my seat, so most of the straps got tied over the seat to prevent it from flying off. It would've been too easy to just stick the seat in my truck...haha

-Cody
Where did you get that wheel chock and what brand is it? I need something just like that for my trailer. I was thinking of getting another baxley but I don't think anyone around town sells them.

· Registered
3,843 Posts
how would they get any looser than a ratchet strap? the suspension is going to move just the same. the suspension shouldnt be moving if you have it strapped correctly.

you dont have to trust them. but, as i already said ive used them for YEARS. and, they sell them next to the ratchet straps, and tie downs. for the SAME purpose. comparing it to pet food isnt even close to the same thing.

maybe you guys used shitty straps. :dunno: mine were always fine. not the little cheapy things. and, those style of straps are NOT good to be used on a solid load. its needs to have some spring to it, so you can CINCH it down.. I/E bike suspension. so ofcourse they wouldnt work carrying pipe. you wouldnt ever be able to get them tight.

used correctly, those straps will be fine.
Because they're tension based. Like a square knot. A ratchet strap will not come loose if there's slack. You should also not decompress the suspension SOO much that it can't move. It shouldn't be bouncing, but it shouldn't be bottomed out either.

We used NRS cam straps which are supposed to be pretty good. I wouldn't trust my bike with them, not even for a second. But I'm glad you've had good luck with them.

Where did you get that wheel chock and what brand is it? I need something just like that for my trailer. I was thinking of getting another baxley but I don't think anyone around town sells them.
Harbor Freight. They have a couple different ones
Motorcycle Wheel Chocks - Great Deals on Motorcycle Wheel Chocks at Harbor Freight
Motorcycle Stand / Wheel Chock
-Cody

1 - 20 of 187 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.