Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone can ride a fast bike in a straight line...

i keep hearing this line over n over again & i somewhat agree of course, but, how many of you have hammered the throttle in a straight line, or anywhere else, on a ZX14 until you ran out of balls ??? trust me, it's not just a point n shoot situation.
just wonderin'...

·
Registered
753 Posts
I have not had the pleasure of piloting a zx14 yet but I have put some miles on a Hyabusa. I was curious about the straight-line speed and I gave it a shot. It truly is not as easy as it sounds. I believe it does take far more skill to master the twisties and I prefer twisties to straight roads any day... but riding a bike that fast in a straight line DOES take serious balls. At those speeds, everything about the bike feels different.

Truth be told, I don't even have the balls to top out my 650R. It will reach about 140 or so but I brought it up to 115 or so and will probably never do it again.

Topping out one of the big bikes (zx14 or 'busa) takes a little bit of skill but massive cojones.

-Pat

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
Sure it takes skill to go really fast on a bike like that and not kill yourself, but I think you may be missing the point when people say that.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
awww i came into the thread thinking it was something like

but I think your statement is half and half. Once it gets into that high /upper end speed the balls come into play. Other wise it really is any guy can just mash the throttle.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I've never done it! I'm to old and don't have the nads for it. More power to those that can. I remember what pain feels like, (can't seem to forget) to much can happen beyond mine or anyone elses control .:eek:

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
It takes skill to launch a bike, then that's about it. It doesn't take much skill to go fast. Sounds like you're getting 'skill' and 'having balls' mixed up.

But I'm on a 600...so take it for what it is. I've had my bike up to an indicated 154, right before I hammered down into 3rd for turn 1 at Texas World Speedway at 130mph. The race pace is still full speed at the transition point...so some of these guys are taking that corner at 160+. THAT takes skill AND balls.
-Cody

·
Registered
369 Posts
anyone can ride a fast bike in a straight line...

i keep hearing this line over n over again & i somewhat agree of course, but, how many of you have hammered the throttle in a straight line, or anywhere else, on a ZX14 until you ran out of balls ??? trust me, it's not just a point n shoot situation.
just wonderin'...
I don't own a zx-14, but I do a 10R.

I've topped it out three times if that is what your asking.(speedo gets stuck @189mph while redlined in fifth, then you shift to 6th and accelerate a little more until ya hit the limiter) I had the to show the speed triple that was doing 150 that my bike was faster. ;)

Haven't done it for a while though. My balls must be shrinking...

Definitely takes some skill, but much more skill is required to go fast on a very technical track.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I will agree that twisties takes skill, on the other hand riding a 28 yr old
bike, with an engine that far out weighs the suspension is not easy.
I have had mine up to 140, with more to go, and when the thought creeps
in your head that anything can bust loose at that speed gives you worry!!
Throw in wind, wildlife, or the rancher in a pickup coming off a dirt road and
it's scary. And yes, that was a 1 time ride.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
awww i came into the thread thinking it was something like

but I think your statement is half and half. Once it gets into that high /upper end speed the balls come into play. Other wise it really is any guy can just mash the throttle.
two things everyone:

#1 i do understand the level of skill it takes to ride twistys well. that is not my question.

#2 i wish my mom had never posted that pic of me on tha interwebz.

Reactions: bubbleboys

·
Registered
369 Posts
I will agree that twisties takes skill, on the other hand riding a 28 yr old
bike, with an engine that far out weighs the suspension is not easy.
I have had mine up to 140, with more to go, and when the thought creeps
in your head that anything can bust loose at that speed gives you worry!!

Throw in wind, wildlife, or the rancher in a pickup coming off a dirt road and
it's scary. And yes, that was a 1 time ride.
You need a faster bike to get you there quicker, then you don't have time to think. :D

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so, what is the top speed of a 14?

ive had my 636 topped out many times. and had my R1 topped out several times. its not that hard.....
186...unfortunately, but it comes up terrifyingly quick.
IVANS TRE will cure that & still keep the gear indicator, but i just don't see the need.

·
Registered
6,620 Posts

Wow! Look at you!
:lol:

I don't know if I'd say it doesn't take skill to keep a bike pegged to top speed like that. I've done it on the 636 and don't see a whole lot of skill in the process but I've never ridden a 14. I think it mostly takes balls (or stupidity depending on your perspective) to do it but I don't know if I'd take it any further than that. I guess I'll claim ignorance though I really don't imagine it requires much skill to hold a bike straight and the throttle wide open even at 200+. :dunno:

That said, I don't like to shit on people for how they ride if I can help myself even though I don't really get it. It's your bike, ride it how you want. I'm more worried about that kind of behavior when it puts bystanders at risk.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
................................................................. how many of you have hammered the throttle in a straight line, or anywhere else, on a ZX14 until you ran out of balls ??? trust me, it's not just a point n shoot situation.
just wonderin'...
the 14 is so easy...........

its so stable and heavy (560+lbs),
but a little slow getting to top speed, :p

the 09zx10r now that's a bike (450+lbs)...........................
its like "doing it" (top speed).... on one wheel
:D
plus nothing has passed me on the streeeeeeeeeeeet ....

but i heard rumors of the new 11zx10r with a flashed ecu that was pretty fast....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
186? I was thinking it was a lot higher... hence the 200+ comment. I dunno... 163ish didn't seem too demanding of skill.... 145ish at lean coming into a chicane is much more intense imo. :dunno:
200+ with the TRE...just seems pointless unless it's for LSR.

·
Ninja Bike Forum Mod
22,254 Posts
186 on the street is a lot different than 145 on a track.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
the 14 is so easy...........

its so stable and heavy (560+lbs),
but a little slow getting to top speed, :p

the 09zx10r now that's a bike (450+lbs)...........................
its like "doing it" (top speed).... on one wheel
:D
plus nothing has passed me on the streeeeeeeeeeeet ....

but i heard rumors of the new 11zx10r with a flashed ecu that was pretty fast....
taking off those missle silos that they call exhaust was a HUGE weight savings. i'm guessing about 50 lbs, shoulda weighed em.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
I miss my 14 too, its was the most comfortable, well besides the ninja 500.

the thought "in a straight line" is kinda funny.
not too many places around town
to maintain that kind of speed "in a straight line"

the roads they curve, they go up and down, they have bumps.

and :eek:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts