Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 ZX6RR which is pretty obvious by this point but there my problem..I can find first and nuetral find from a standstill but when i'm rippin into second sometimes i go right to neutral and when i try poppin' in to either first or second it goes somethin like this....KCKCKCKCKCKK CLUNK! i've had this happen too on the freeway at 60mph which isnt very fun..its happened about 5 times since i've got the bike...i'm about to bring it in on warrenty but i thought i'd ask the experts at ZX6R.COM! Also for those who hate the dealers and I do have a serious problem with clutching or something..how should I go about getting everything replaced or bike recalled? [}:)]

·
Registered
422 Posts
How many miles are on your bike???? I noticed the same thing ONCE in a while until I actually ahd it near 1,000 miles. Now it NEVER happens.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I also had similar problems on my 2003 ZX6. The bike would hit a false neutral either in fifth or sixth and when I would try to put back in gear, it would make a heart wrenching noise. This problem occurred about 5 or 6 times over a span of 1500 km. The problem seemed to have stopped after the 2500 km mark and the bike currently has 10,000 km. Even though the problem has not reappeared I have decided to change the shifting to racing format (1 up and 5 down), a lot of the guys suggested it helps smooth out the shifting, its something you might want to consider.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Have you owned a Kawasaki sportbike in the past? They are notorious for demanding a dedicated, firm shift in order to engage the next cog. People who hop off CBR's or GSX-R's are constantly saying there's something wrong, because those bikes let you shift half-heartedly. You CAN'T on these bikes. Once you focus more on precise and firm shifts, I bet the false-neutral goes away. That's not to say I don't believe you could have a problem, but more often than not, it's a Kawi thing you need to get used to. You can't have lazy shifts.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I agree. I noticed the same thing, it's like it takes so much to make one complete shift compared to my EX. It's just something you have to get used to doing.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I had that same problem on my zx9. So what I did was adjust the shifter lever down a little. There are adjustment screws at each end of the shifter rod for that. It helped alot on my upshifts.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Originally posted by ZXSixRR
I have an 03 ZX6RR which is pretty obvious by this point but there my problem..I can find first and nuetral find from a standstill but when i'm rippin into second sometimes i go right to neutral and when i try poppin' in to either first or second it goes somethin like this....KCKCKCKCKCKK CLUNK! i've had this happen too on the freeway at 60mph which isnt very fun..its happened about 5 times since i've got the bike...i'm about to bring it in on warrenty but i thought i'd ask the experts at ZX6R.COM! Also for those who hate the dealers and I do have a serious problem with clutching or something..how should I go about getting everything replaced or bike recalled? [}:)]
Mine does the same thing. I have a little over 1k on my bike but it seems to be getting better. Not sure if tis part of break in.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Mine does the same thing also.
Freaking thing, I also pop it into gear forcefully and sometimes don't use the clutch to make sure it's in there right.

But when it happens it's scary as hell and sound so cruel and inhumane. I've taken it to the place where I bought my bike from and they're like "unless you can reproduce the problem we can't work on it" so it hasn't been fixed.

I used to notice it the most from 1st to 2nd, only when coming down from a wheelie.
Now it happens through any gear it feels like doing. That's why if I'm ever umm...running...I mean racing I get scared of it happening. *knock on wood* I'm still safe and it hasn't happened but it sits in the back of my head...

·
Registered
100 Posts
same thing here everyonce and a while when i'm shifting really hard i'll get it i have about 7,000 miles on it happend yesterday as a matter of fact. This time comming down in gears from second to first right before a really sharp turn sounded like the chain was going to come off.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yeah, I got that every once in awhile, and you swear your gears are loosing teeth when it happens! Anyway, I adjusted the shift lever down so you get a full throw with you foots range of motion. Second, make sure the shift lever is 90 degrees to the shift shaft. A tech guy on another forum recommended this, and it helped. Also, switching to synthetic once you have more miles will help, as will just getting more miles on it. Finally, shift like you mean it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.