Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding home today on my 06 636 coming up to a stop light so im going about 35mph in 2nd gear pull in the clutch and downshift and i hear a loud grinding noise like something was breaking. So light turns green and i take off in 1st the bike is jerking real bad so i try to shift to second same thing so i'm crawling home at like 10mph and the chain comes off the rear sprocket i pulled over put it back on and made it home i was less than 1/2 mile from the house. Took the front sprocke cover off and the front sprocket looks fine the chain is on but wit so much slack you could take it off at either end. My question is what do yall think happend. I'm think some gears broke or maybe the transmission went bad. Also my bike is still under warranty would the gears and or transmission be covered? going to take it to the shop in the a.m.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would say the inertia from going to first @ that rate of speed could have shocked back wheel making tire and chain loosen up.. Keep us posted...

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
So who was working on your bike?
as even if the axle nut got loose, the axle block/adjusters stops would prevent the wheel from coming forward and the chain from jumping...

basically someone is clueless one how the drivetrain works... and you are lucky that the ass end didnt lock up on you...
Hope this teaches you to check your bike before you take off on a ride..part of being a biker...preventive maintenance

Hard Love [:M43]

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I know that I one time didnt tightin up the adjusters right and they got tighter on there own riding to the point you could hear on downshifts a whine from the tranny. The chain also took a beating along with the tranny.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the inputs i usually do do a pre-ride inspection just so happend i was running late on this day and did'nt i should've know better. the axle block/adjusters stop on the left side was really loose the left side axle indicator was on the first mark and the right was on the third.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
You might consider to take a look when your bike starts making noises rather than keeping riding hoping it will get better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.