Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My transmission stuck between gear 2nd and 3rd gear yesterday... there were no unusual noises. The bike just behaved as if it were in neutral.

The shifter would not move up or down... after I hit it up and down for a couple of minutes it worked itself back into gear. I ran through the gears and it was smooth again.

I will say that since I have had the bike... third gear is sometimes hard to get into... like you have to hit the shifter up much harder than any of the other gears to get it to shift.

What can this be?

·
Registered
562 Posts
called a false neutral. no biggie. if it continues Id get a factory shift star.. kawis have been making junk 600 trannies since the 03 636 came out

·
Powerhungry
38,374 Posts
called a false neutral. no biggie. if it continues Id get a factory shift star.. kawis have been making junk 600 trannies since the 03 636 came out
long before the 03...

and if it STUCK between gears..thats not normal.
also, this is the first ive heard of problems with the 07 trans. i think i would have had it checked at the first sign of trouble. this trans is simple to pull/inspect.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So this sounds like it could be a major issue?

sorry... don't buy the false neutral bit. It is a big deal when you are in traffic and you lose all mobility... Not to mention not very safe!

I have never had a bike jam like that before.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thats interesting... Ive learned the hard way sitting at a traffic light that if I dont down shift to first while in motion that I have to roll the bike either back or foward a bit before it wants to shift into the proper gear..... I just assumed tha was normal cause my 250 done it as well..

ive noticed on my 08 zx6r that 3rd gear does require more force to shift into.......

thought it was kinda odd.. but just figured its one of the normal gremlins of the bike..

·
Registered
240 Posts
this happened once when i first got the bike. it got stuck between 3rd and 2nd so i pulled over shut the engine off and moved it back and forth...got off the bike and moved the shifter up and down and it went into 3rd. rolled it and downshifted to neutral...the problem was that i was shifting up from 2nd to 3rd too soft

ever since then it hasn't happened since i gave it a little more pressure

just keep an eye on it if it happens again...you might have to take it in or you're shifting it a little too softly. here's a website where they talk about it

http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6764

·
Registered
692 Posts
On the 250, mine would occasionally stick also. But after I cleaned and lubed the chain and gave it a quick run through, it would click into gear very nicely. Didn't stick anymore. Give your chain a good cleaning and lubing. Just a suggestion, ya never know.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On the 250, mine would occasionally stick also. But after I cleaned and lubed the chain and gave it a quick run through, it would click into gear very nicely. Didn't stick anymore. Give your chain a good cleaning and lubing. Just a suggestion, ya never know.

I usually keep my chain well lubed...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
97 Posts
I thought it was me but mine (08) does it more then normal and it has only 500 miles on it. I mainly have problems when I am going to 3rd from 2nd!

·
Registered
53 Posts
if you are stuck on a gear while in a stop light just pull the clutch and release a little, then it will get into gear, then down shift till you find neutral.

·
Registered
442 Posts
where u stuck between the gears while u were stopped? If so, every bike I've ever riden has done this. That's why your suppose to down shift before you come to a complete stop. If not, you have to rock the bike back and fourth while shifting to get out of gear. Thats what I've come to conclude ever since I've touched a bike.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Reverse your shifter. Run with GP style. Your shifts are much easier. Also alot more precise. 1up 5 down. best way to go. never miss a shift again.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Mine also. Alot of times i shift into 3rd a little too soft.. Its like sometimes you have to shift harder than other times.

One thing thats happened twice thats scared me tho is that i've shifted from 1st into 2nd, clutch in & all, & it made a horrible sound. Scared the crap outta me. I shifted back down to first & then onto 2nd a little while later & everything was smooth again. Still can't figure out what may have went wrong.

·
Registered
184 Posts
this happened once when i first got the bike. it got stuck between 3rd and 2nd so i pulled over shut the engine off and moved it back and forth...got off the bike and moved the shifter up and down and it went into 3rd. rolled it and downshifted to neutral...the problem was that i was shifting up from 2nd to 3rd too soft

ever since then it hasn't happened since i gave it a little more pressure

just keep an eye on it if it happens again...you might have to take it in or you're shifting it a little too softly. here's a website where they talk about it

http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6764
Same thing here.

·
Registered
185 Posts
mine shifts like butta...

are you shifting too low of an rpm? what kind of oil are you using?
Im with you on this, when i got the valve cover leak first think i thought about was " well atleast the tranny is silky smooth."

Seriously reverse your shifter. When your stepping down to go into gear you have much more feel when it drops into the gear change. The movement feels much crisper as well. It makes it feel like a new tranny.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
where u stuck between the gears while u were stopped? If so, every bike I've ever riden has done this. That's why your suppose to down shift before you come to a complete stop. If not, you have to rock the bike back and fourth while shifting to get out of gear. Thats what I've come to conclude ever since I've touched a bike.
Nope... I was moving, shifting from 2nd two 3rd and it literally jammed (acted as if in neutral)! I could not move the shift lever at all... whether the clutch was engaged or not. I had to push the bike over to the side of the road and hit it up and down. After a few minutes of doing this it finally came free. I was worried that it wouldn't come free...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Im with you on this, when i got the valve cover leak first think i thought about was " well atleast the tranny is silky smooth."

Seriously reverse your shifter. When your stepping down to go into gear you have much more feel when it drops into the gear change. The movement feels much crisper as well. It makes it feel like a new tranny.

Not sure if I can get used to reversing my shift pattern... besides, I shouldn't have to for the bike to shift as it should... just sounds like a work-around.

I appreciate your advice on this... but not for me!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts