Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is from my 05, this is all I have atm.

I found some wear on the 3rdand4th gear input.

I found where all the NOTICEABLE wear is.
Can't capture the pic cause its still intact but this is basically what it looks like.
The one on the left is the output 2nd gear. I colored the left side but just flip it and that's what it looks like.
The part on the right is the output top gear.

Here's the little slot where the shift fork goes. The other two aren't worn like this one is.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, I rolled the shift rods down a smooth decline and they roll straight.
PS, what can I use to pop the snap ring out so I can remove the gears from the shaft?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know too much about transmissions (yet) but basically there are multiple worn parts that are all contributing to second gear slipping out of gear.
Not sure how exactly the drum plays a role but I'm replacing it anyway cause it is very worn in one spot as you can see here

The shift fork is extremely worn and ground down a bit.
I would assume that the wear is causing the dog to not engage as far as it should
(hence it slipping out in the higher rpms)

With that in the equation, we now have the 2nd gear output. The edges are rounded off pretty good (from the multiple times its slipped I would assume) therefore it isn't going to lock into gear as well since it doesn't have that straight machined edge and is now prone to slip.

The top gear output has some wear on it as well (obviously since its dogs engage into the 2nd gear output

·
Registered
317 Posts
the drum is too allow the shift pins to move around more freely. when u are into tranny under cut a few gears.. the mostly used, great investment

·
Registered
980 Posts
You need to replace all the shift forks since you are this deep already. No need to put any part back in that could cause the damage all over again.

As for the gears, the part you need to be looking at is where they mesh together, like in the 1st pic and the diagram you colored with the red. The wear you have shown with the red arrows in the 3rd pics wont cause it to pop out of gear etc, but will cause the shift forks to wear prematurely, but isn't as big of a deal.

Check for any rounded eges on the gears where they both mesh with each other. If you see any wear at all replace it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
was it hard to take the tranny apart like that? did you have to start at the cams and work ur way down? taking out the pistons, jugs, crank and everything to get to the tranny?

·
Registered
11 Posts
was it hard to take the tranny apart like that? did you have to start at the cams and work ur way down? taking out the pistons, jugs, crank and everything to get to the tranny?

i know this is like my first post here, but I just wanted to know if this was a serious question or if your screwing around...:confused:

·
Registered
158 Posts
it's a serious question.... i know how to get to the transmission on a motocross bike. i wasn't sure if they made street bikes the same way. i figured it was the same, but i was hoping it was different, since it's a real pain to have to split the cases and everything.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I pretty much knew the answer to my own question, was just making sure. but i don't see why it's so unfathomable that someone wouldn't know how to remove a motorcycle transmission Vodas636.

·
Registered
980 Posts
You have to split the cases, but you dont have to take off the head,pistons, and crank, to get to the trans. Just the stuff that bolts to both upper and lower cases, then you can flip the engine over and split the lower case from the upper case, and leave Head/jugs/pistons/crank as one unit.

·
Banned
1,505 Posts
Also, I rolled the shift rods down a smooth decline and they roll straight.
PS, what can I use to pop the snap ring out so I can remove the gears from the shaft?
The tool is called snap-ring pliers. ;)

dam kawasaki needs to fix this problem, seems like everybody with a 05-06 has gear problems
You are just seeing a bunch of people with a common issue posting their problems in a forum. The reality is, out of the 10's of thousands of these bike that they sold, only a fraction of a percent have succumbed to this failure.

·
Registered
315 Posts
You are just seeing a bunch of people with a common issue posting their problems in a forum. The reality is, out of the 10's of thousands of these bike that they sold, only a fraction of a percent have succumbed to this failure.
Ditto, I haven't met one 05-06' owner with this problem. The only thing I hear is that they HEARD of it. When I ask who they heard it from, they say internet forums. Still it'd be nice if Kawi did a recall out of good faith to fix any and all. But we all know the chance of that :)

·
Banned
1,505 Posts
Someone post a VIN # and I'll see if there is one. I doubt it though.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No recall, and no free fixing.
They chalk it up to rider error, partly which I can seem to agree on.

·
Registered
113 Posts
lol come on u mean my 2nd gear gone has nothing to do with all the wheelies and drag racing? I was mad when i lost it but i relize when u play hard and mess around u gata pay they are ment for racing but they take more abuse then any thing iv ever seen.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts