Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have an 06 zx6r that has recently had some shifting issues. At first I thought it was my clutch going out for the second time in 6 months... After riding it a little more I'm pretty sure it's something else. Basically any time I accelerate hard and reach 10k+- rpm there's a momentary slip and then it slams back into whatever gear it was in. I can also feel (and hear) something rubbing internally if I barely rest my foot on the shifter no matter which gear it's in.... I'm thinking shift drum or forks but I'm not sure. What do you guys think? I can post videos with sound if needed

·
Registered
89 Posts
Had something similar on my Z but it would only do it between 3rd and 4th but it wouldn't slip. It would do something like half shift (you could feel it with your toe) as if something was physically blocking the linkage or shift drum from turning, would never get to fourth, and then it would immediately SLAM back into 3rd. Still does it from time to time. Blew 4th out of it as a result. Cause still unknown. I just shift through 4th now. Does it feel like it is fully shifting into the next gear and then pops out back to the lower gear?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Had something similar on my Z but it would only do it between 3rd and 4th but it wouldn't slip. It would do something like half shift (you could feel it with your toe) as if something was physically blocking the linkage or shift drum from turning, would never get to fourth, and then it would immediately SLAM back into 3rd. Still does it from time to time. Blew 4th out of it as a result. Cause still unknown. I just shift through 4th now. Does it feel like it is fully shifting into the next gear and then pops out back to the lower gear?
No it goes into gear just fine... a little rough but it goes in. If I take it easy I can hit the limiter with no problems just takes a minute but the instant I have to really get on the throttle it slips for an instant then catches in same gear.

·
Registered
89 Posts
When you say it goes into gear a little rough, do you hear a chattering or gear grinding before it like clunks into gear?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 05 10R did exactly the same thing several times; what seems like a fast slip and grab on the same gear under hard acceleration. Never jumps to a false neutral or to another gear. Happened only on 4th. Never found the reason but came to the conclusion that it could be the slipper clutch. Gave it just a bit more clutch cable slack and that seemed to help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts