Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 250r with 7000 kilonmeters. The bike is stock exept for (1) washer for the needle jet mod. The bikes 2nd maintenace was done by the dealer 2 months ago.

Occassionally, over the past month the bikes transmission seems to slip into neutral at highway speeds(80-130 kph) at sixth gear.

I did have the false neutrals when the bike was new, but after 1000 kilometeres this went away.

Back to the issue at hand, the bike seems to do this since the weather has gotten cooler (i'm in canada). I am not trying to downshift, my hand are on the grips and i am not holding the clutch lever while riding, etc...

The rpm's seem okay, any ideas of what this could be?

·
Registered
443 Posts
I have an 08 250r with 7000 kilonmeters. The bike is stock exept for (1) washer for the needle jet mod. The bikes 2nd maintenace was done by the dealer 2 months ago.

Occassionally, over the past month the bikes transmission seems to slip into neutral at highway speeds(80-130 kph) at sixth gear.

I did have the false neutrals when the bike was new, but after 1000 kilometeres this went away.

Back to the issue at hand, the bike seems to do this since the weather has gotten cooler (i'm in canada). I am not trying to downshift, my hand are on the grips and i am not holding the clutch lever while riding, etc...

The rpm's seem okay, any ideas of what this could be?
doesn't seem right or even possible to be slipping into neutral at HIGHWAY speeds...
is your foot resting above or below the shifter??? is your linkage too tight?

·
Registered
443 Posts
if your foot is under the shifter then its probably not the linkage...

but in case your wondering how to adjust it.. back the nut off and turn the rod until it loosens... reverse the process, tighten until there is no slop...

·
Registered
237 Posts
When it slips into netrual while in 6th gear tap the rear brakes twice and then shift. ((YOU HAVE NOW UNLOCKED THE 7th GEAR MOD))...lol

j/k but seriously it should be under warranty take it to the dealer asap.

·
Registered
146 Posts
When it slips into netrual while in 6th gear tap the rear brakes twice and then shift. ((YOU HAVE NOW UNLOCKED THE 7th GEAR MOD))...lol

j/k but seriously it should be under warranty take it to the dealer asap.
Mother of god... you just gave away the 7th gear mod every one what wanting to know...

·
Powerhungry
38,146 Posts
sounds like the clutch is slipping

i wonder..did by some freak chance, the wrong oil get used?

if cable adjustment turns out OK. and isnt the problem. change the oil again. make sure to use the right stuff.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The dealer just returned my phone call, they said to bring the bike back to have the linkage, clutch, etc... looked at next week.

They will also check with kawi to see if there is anything else it might be...

I will keep you guys updated... Thanks for all the tips...

·
Registered
389 Posts
the rpms go up as the throttle is 3/4 open...

I will check tonight to see if the clutch cable is too tight, just need to check the manual for the free play, from what i remember i think it is 2-3 mm.
Ya 2-3mm is good, or as long as there is some play.

Are you referring to it slipping into the false neutral from 6th once you've been ridding for a while in 6th?

·
Registered
523 Posts
I sometimes shift and find a false neutral between 5th and 6th. Is this normal or am I just releasing the clutch too early sometimes? I'm over 2,200 miles and it's happened about three times.

·
Premium Member
41,542 Posts
I sometimes shift and find a false neutral between 5th and 6th. Is this normal or am I just releasing the clutch too early sometimes? I'm over 2,200 miles and it's happened about three times.
Make sure you have good pressure on the shifter.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm about to vote on clutch slipping on this one :( Not talking about CZroe's issue. You said that when you give it more throttle then the rpms rise? Then when you reduce the throttle do the rpms go back down to where they normally would be? And by the way, your username is probably the most saught after username. I should have tried 07ninja250r. Damnit!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bluevitz-rs, sometimes after riding for a while in sixth, the transmission slips back into neutral. However, at other times in sixth the transmission seems to slip out of gear, then back is gear.

I believe the clutch is slipping as well but will know more when the dealer looks at the bike next week.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Please keep this thread updated with what ya find out. For the past couple months my wife has complained of her 250 doing something similar. At first it seemed to be going into gear and then immediately slipping right back out. Usually between first and second, therefore dropping into neutral, but at other times it was between some of the higher gears and would hit a false neutral. More recently there have been a few occasions when the bike was fully in gear, clutch lever released and she was driving along and it would suddenly slip out of gear. I hopped on the bike after swapping the front sprocket last night and after winding out second, at about 10k RPM it suddenly dropped out of 2nd and the neutral light came on. :confused: We plan to take it to the shop to have it checked soon, but someone suggested it *could* be a bent shift fork. So I dunno but we'll see. I'll post up what we find out, please do the same with yours.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts