Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 6r with about 3200 miles on it and with all the recent talk about faulty transmissions, I am getting a bit scared and paranoid.

The transmission on my bike is making whining noises (I can hear it even if I am wearing ear plugs) through all the gears - 1st through 6th. I know that it is the transmission because the whine changes depending on whether I can applying power (from the engine) or not. It gets louder as the engine accelerates. I know it is not the chain since the whine gets quieter when I close the throttle (in high gear so the bike does not slow down).

I have done all the service and even more oil changes then recommended. I have never abused the bike - no burnouts, no wheelies, etc., which is even scarier.

How high are the chances that one day, I will have a shot tranny and will have to go through the same headaches as many of you? Are there other people that have the same whinning transmissions?

·
Registered
324 Posts
it could be your chain being to tight

·
Registered
634 Posts
chain maybe too tight, check it with it on its side stand.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will check that but if it was the chain, why would the noise change between a fully closed throttle and barely open? Let me see if I can explain: when the bike is moving in 6th gear and the throttle is fully closed, the noise if virtually gone. But when I open the throttle (not enough to accelerate the bike but just applying minimal power), the noise appears. Another thing, the noise is very similar to when your are accelerating your car in reverse.

In any case, I am getting my ruler and going to check the chain slack...

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
+1 on the chain. When the throttle is open, you are transfering power fron the crankshaft to the rear wheel via the chain and when you close the throttle, your chain has less stress on it since it is just being rotated by the current speed. Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I just measured the chain slack and in both cases with the bike standing and me on the bike, the chain has about an 1-1/4" slack, which should be enough.

·
Registered
204 Posts
If the tranny is goin out it shouldn't be making a whining noise. Maybe somebody secretly installed a turbo on your bike :D

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by mateoconamor
If the tranny is goin out it shouldn't be making a whining noise. Maybe somebody secretly installed a turbo on your bike :D
Why do you think that it *shouldn't* be making a whining noise? That noise does not seem normal at all...

Yeah, I wish somebody secretly installed a turbo!! :D

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by Cyclonicks
aren't we supposed to have straight cut gears in our bikes?

wich makes some whining increasing with the speed...
I would love nothing more then to know that even though the gears whine, that is the way it is supposed to be but with all the recent talk about faulty trannies going bad and Kawi not doing anything about it, I am a bit scared.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by 636cc of fury
Dude its your airbox. Mine has had a whine since day one, and my tranny is fine. (fingers crossed)
I am sorry but I highly doubt it is the airbox! For one, it does not sound it is coming from the airbox area. Secondly, if it was the airbox it would whine (even though, not as much due to lack of ramair effect) if the bike was stopped and I was revving the engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Originally posted by 636cc of fury
Dude its your airbox. Mine has had a whine since day one, and my tranny is fine. (fingers crossed)
I was going to say, the ram air makes a whinning sound sometimes it even sounds like a cops siren, lol, i would say that is your noise which is completely harmless, even the gsxr's do that

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well guys I put on a little over 100 miles today since I picked the bike up at the stealership at 5:30. I called them at 6, right before they closed, and asked about the whine, because mine is a lot louder than any bike I am used to. The dealership said that the 6 speed transmissions are louder than average to begin with. He said ride the bike for a while, and if the intensity of the whine or anything seems to change, give him a call so he can catch it before its too late. sorry i dont have a definitive answer.

alex

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I think you are paranoid over nothing. I get a whining noise from my bike too and I know that there is nothing wrong with it. 3500 miles on it now, works great and I ride daily. Just ride the damn thing and quit being paranoid! [:M69]

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.