Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Trip to Mackinac Bridge

6K views 115 replies 13 participants last post by  BamBam 
#1 ·
Ok Guys and Girls,

I am trying to set up a group ride to Mackinac Bridge the weekend of the 15th. We would take off from Holland, Michigan on Saturday morning and along Lake Michigan(not necessarily right next to the lake) up through Grand Haven, Muskegon, Traverse City, and Petoskey up to the bridge. I know for sure that Dizzy and I are planning on going but we would love to have some other people join us. We were also planning on getting a hotel room for Saturday night so we could enjoy the day at the bridge, get some dinner and of course RIDE!

So, if anyone is interested please let me or Dizzy know and we can make arrangements.

#7 ·
Feel free to pick me up in the Boyne/Petoskey region. Hopefully you don't hit it before I am out of work. Coming up 131?

#9 ·
The Boyne/Petoskey region is right on the coastline an hour south of Mackinaw. I should already be on the route ;-) Have him PM me and I can give him an idea of some routes.

#15 ·
Thinking I have to drop out. Was riding my bike to the dealer this morning in the rain and dropped it.

Damage:
Bent steering
right fairing (pretty bad)
Brake lever (cosmetic)
Right front turn signal
Right mirror
exhaust system
Skin on my knee
Icon Mesh Jacket
Calvin Klein Jeans (grrr)

Not sure if it will be rideable by next weekend.

#16 ·
I'd go, but I'm getting ready to move at the end of this month and that weekend has already been planned for other things. Sorry.

Dizzy, as a suggestion if you're coming out of South Bend on you're way to Holland try to take the A-2...its a nice road that will lead you right to Holland.

Reactions: Dizzy08
#19 ·
Think I could give you a better path for the post Petoskey portion. Its longer, a lot windier, and much better looking.

Why aren't you just taking 31 to Petoskey from Charlevoix?

#20 ·
ohh, we were going to go through boyne city to pick you up. thats why, otherwise i would have just taken 31. What road were you thinking post petoskey?

And im so sorry about that fall man! ARG that sucks!!!

and dizzy as of right now thats a 8 hour drive :D

#22 ·
If you take 31 to M-119, then take that into Harbor Springs. Then take M-119 all the way up to Wilderness State Park, or at least Cross Village. It follows along the shore line, and is full of tight twisties with elevation changes. It is also a beautiful drive. It is a pretty tight road, with no center line markings, so beware of stupid rich trophy wives in Hummers that think they own all of northern Michigan.

And if you like Polish food, stop at Leggs Inn in Cross Village. This will lengthen out your ride quite a bit, but it is a fun ride/drive.

And if my bike is back up and running, I'll meet you in Petoskey. I don't think you should miss the stretch of 31 between Petoskey and Charlevoix. If you can, stop at 9 mile park along there. Its a good place to hunt for Petoskey stones.

#25 ·
Guess I should clarify, the bike runs. I went from Boyne Falls to Gaylord with bent steering to get it to the dealer. So it is really just a question of how quickly can they get the parts.

So far, on the list are a Yoshi exhaust, new grips, mirrors, flush turns, fairings, and possibly a fendor eliminator. And whatever they need to get my front end straight.

I got over confident and forgot the basics of rain riding, I paid the price, and luckily, it was just some damage to the bike and a bit of skin.

Reactions: Dizzy08
#27 ·
ok for those of you who are interested in this, we are staying in a hotel in Sault Ste. marie that evening. It was way too expensive to stay in Mackinac. It is the
Americas Best Value Inn
3411 I 75 Business Spur
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783
USA

i booked through expedia.

#29 ·
My brother is right... very cool drive on M-119. He left out one of the best beaches in Michigan is on 119 past Cross Village @ Sturgeon Bay. Easy to find... just look for all the cars parked on the road. If you're in Mackinaw City on Saturday evening or Sunday I might ride my little 250r up there. It would be the longest distance I've ridden yet... Petoskey - Mackinaw I mean. I was thinking of riding up there today though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.