Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do easy stuff first. Sounds like it could be water in your fuel. I would get some gas treatment (mostly alcohol) and dump it in the tank. You could also drain the float bowls. If you do, collect it in a clear container so that you can see if there is any water or gunk.

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
yea testing for water is easy enough.
remove the tank, and drain it, to make sure there is no water left, once its drained unbolt the whole petcock from the bottom of the tank.
Now to drain the float bowls, you'll see 4 screws along the top of the carbs, with little collars on them like the style you put on a dog so it wont chew at stiches..
just loosen those a little, and it will start to drain.

Remember when you put it all back together it will take a minute to start, the fuel needs to get back into the engine again.

·
Registered
152 Posts
CdnNinja,I took the petcock off and finish draining, As I took the petcock off one of the little filters fell inside the tank so im trying to get it out kind of a pain, but my reserve never worked so im thinking the filter the tiny filter on the petcock may have been a contributing factor why my reserve doesn't work.Can somwbody expalin how the petcock vavle works I just dont get it, it looks like a vavle with two inputs from the tank and an output toward the pump okay then how does it separate the fuel from on to reserve if the input holes are right next to each other?Theres no spick-it tubes I pulled out.Now my reserve did work a couple months a go.(by the way the fuel looks a little weak in color but I just cant tell if there is a lot of water.) I suposse the water would separate from fuel so maybe no water here.Im going to fuel her back up a check for an improvment .

·
Registered
152 Posts
(Ive done a few searches already)My bike started sputtering,and has never sputtered before and not sure where to start. I was useing the bike all week w/no problems it was running perfect.Till last night I notice tiny sputter then on the hwy it just got worse.Heres whats going through my mind Ive been caught in the rain this week w/the bike it was moderate-heavy rain could there be water in my tank? As soon as it sputtered i pulled over put some gas in it, and for a min. the sputter went away then returned.Then a month agone I installed a hindle bolt-on but it specified I didnt need to rejet so i didn't maybe thats effecting it. If anybody could give me some insight to somemore troubleshooting idea and where I should start, info. is greatly apreciated! Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
The way the fuel pickup works is a simple design actually.
The taller of the 2 filters pickup fuel when your riding around in "ON" mode on the petcock.
When you get low on gas, lower then the top filter can get at, the engine sputters,so you switch to reserve, which is the filter that goes right to the bottom of the tank. Think of you drinking a can of soda with a straw, and you cant to the bottom of the can because the straw is to short, so you get a bigger straw. This is similar, but reversed.

Fuel in ON position...
/forum/uploads/cdnninjazx6r/fuelon.jpg

Fuel in reserve..
/forum/uploads/cdnninjazx6r/fuelres.jpg

How the reserve would stop working I dont know, since its not actually a seperate tank, just a lower pickup. Maybe the reserve pickup had gotten blocked.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Cdnninja, thanks for the diagrams I understand now the tube for the on swicth was the one that fell into the tank I finally got it out , I didn't see it was longer than the reserve tube till I got it out. As far as the sputtering goes I drain the gas and changed my plugs,I also tried to clean out the fuel filter a little but I think I should replace it. The bike now has its power back and has made a major improvment,but there is a slight,very slight sputter/backfire that doesn't seem to interfere with the bikes performce.But its that little sputter that still bothers me.When I replace the fuel filter and it doesn't completely disapear, I think maybe I should take it to the dealer?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.