Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I had my bike shipped to Cincy from Hawaii. It sat for about 6 weeks before arriving. Before arriving, it started up first try every time. Now, it takes a good ten minutes to get it started. Is it the carbs? Need cleaning? It is really pissing me off...
I just had a tuneup, and still is a pain in the ass to start. Please help!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Sounds like the gas either got gummed up from the storage time or water somehow got in the tank. Empty out the tank and try some new fuel and it that doesn't work you'll most likely needs to clean the carbs out. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Did you get the tune-up b/4 or after you got to Ohio? I really would not think that sitting up for just 6 weeks would be enough time for the gas to be bad. What is the temp. difference between Hawaii and Ohio? Are you choking it or not? Are you giving it throttle while trying to start it? Give me a little info. on how you are starting it.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Originally posted by melloyello

Did you get the tune-up b/4 or after you got to Ohio? I really would not think that sitting up for just 6 weeks would be enough time for the gas to be bad. What is the temp. difference between Hawaii and Ohio? Are you choking it or not? Are you giving it throttle while trying to start it? Give me a little info. on how you are starting it.
Actually, if I let my '96 sit longer than two weeks without starting it, it becomes very hard to start, even with full choke. After it runs for a little while though, I can shut it off and fire it right back up.

As far as AtotheB's problem, I think he found out that his choke assembly was broken or something, so it's getting fixed already.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up man. Just trying to help. These things can be a real pain in the butt to diagnose sometimes.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TommyV is correct, something with the internal switch for the choke? I dunno but have a new assembly on order. Thanks for all the tips, you guys know your shite.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.