Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I'm running the Continental ROAD attacks and they suck on grip, great mileage but as far as grip two thumbs down. They were on the bike new from the dealer bike had 4200 miles and now just over 11k and the tires still have deep trade left but they just don't heat good for fast turns. I have had a few scary drifts almost lost it but just power slide a few feet. Next I'm going with the continental RACE attacks, or just fork out the loot for some power 2ct's.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Been running Shinko Ravens and routinely seeing 7k out of the rear double that from the front.

I will be getting the Pilot Road 2's next. a friend of mine has them and @ 8500 miles the tires were just starting to flat spot. I have seen the set go for under $300 at 303 Cycle with free shipping!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Been running Shinko Ravens and routinely seeing 7k out of the rear double that from the front.

I will be getting the Pilot Road 2's next. a friend of mine has them and @ 8500 miles the tires were just starting to flat spot. I have seen the set go for under $300 at 303 Cycle with free shipping!
A local bike shop is running Christmas specials on the conti race and the plot 2ct's. $299 front/rear mounted. But I'm not sure which ones to go with the conti race or the 2ct's. I think the conti race would get the best mailage of the two, and still have really good grip.

These mileage sport tires you guys are talking about, how good do they grip compare to the plots or something in the range? I ride my bike everyday but I ride really hard on the weekends and need something that will grip but will last too.

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
These mileage sport tires you guys are talking about, how good do they grip compare to the plots or something in the range? I ride my bike everyday but I ride really hard on the weekends and need something that will grip but will last too.
If you read my linked posts, you'll see, but I'll tell you right now that I'll put my Strada's up against Pilot Powers any day, any time, any condition, track or street.

Sport touring tires aren't underdesigned to accommodate higher mileage. They're designed for the type of riding you and I, and nearly every one else actually does, resulting in high mileage wear.

I guess Cyber needs to move this to a general forum, now that it's become another discussion, lol.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
If you read my linked posts, you'll see, but I'll tell you right now that I'll put my Strada's up against Pilot Powers any day, any time, any condition, track or street.
Thats what I wanted to hear. If they are so good on grip then why do people push the plots so hard, if you could buy another tire that grips just as well but last 10k more miles WHY would you buy anything eles? am I missing something? I have always heard "if it gets good mileage dont buy it, it doesn't grip"

·
mad dum son
2,387 Posts
Thats what I wanted to hear. If they are so good on grip then why do people push the plots so hard, if you could buy another tire that grips just as well but last 10k more miles WHY would you buy anything eles? am I missing something? I have always heard "if it gets good mileage dont buy it, it doesn't grip"
because they don't know wtf they are talking about.

·
mad dum son
2,387 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's all marketing.

Try the Stradas and I dare you to come up with one bad thing to say. Honestly, I'm having trouble coming up with anything after 20k miles.

·
mad dum son
2,387 Posts
probably not.

If I had a dedicated trackbike I would use sport tires. For the street, running sport tires is dumb. I can continue to say this until I'm blue in the face and it wont make a bit of difference in that person who is set in his mind that they can out perform an ST tire in the street.

If you can, then you need to be at the track.

·
Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
36,924 Posts
probably not.

If I had a dedicated trackbike I would use sport tires. For the street, running sport tires is dumb. I can continue to say this until I'm blue in the face and it wont make a bit of difference in that person who is set in his mind that they can out perform an ST tire in the street.

If you can, then you need to be at the track.
what about a intermediate track rider that rides canyons regular?

·
mad dum son
2,387 Posts
what about a intermediate track rider that rides canyons regular?
For dual duty, I'd say absolutely.
For racing, no.

You know better than most here. Track riding temp cycles are entirely different than street riding. But if you're doing just canyon riding with your occasional trackday, the ST tire is a great choice.

·
Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
36,924 Posts
I agree they would be fine for at least 95% of street riders, I dont think they would work so well for a more competitive track rider ( but if you at that level probably you have spare rims so you can run the DOT race tires for your track days ).

I would love to see some pics from a hot day on a intermediate/fast track day.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
I've been using Michelin Pilot Road CT2s for the last year. Almost as good as a sports tyre when they're pushed, and noticeably better grip under normal road use when they don't get so hot. As normal road use is where you're most likely going to need an emergency swerve or emergency braking, that's where I like maximum grip.

Rob

1 - 20 of 167 Posts