Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My name is Brad. I own a car audio sales and installation shop in Il. To make it clear I'm not trying to sell anything with out going through the right processes.

I just want to get an idea of what kind of response I will get to make it my worth while.

So I been working on a motorcycle sound system completely hidden and and very loud and musical. with out telling too much you will be able to plug in head phone jack for phone and possibly in the future a usb reader will be implemented. so far it will house a full range 3.5" and 1 inch tweeter in a pod able to be secured to the inside fairings.

the more responses I get the better I'l feel. plus I wont forget the people who participate. offering a large discount is in mind.

thanks for your time No PM s please that could jepordise the relationship with me and the owners of this forum thank you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I personally think although its a good idea you've got a very difficult target market. I think the people who are more likely to buy this product are either kids on mopeds so they can ride along playing their dupstep as loud as they possibly can through town centers acting like a 17/18 year old in their first car with a sub the size of their boot or someone who has a sort of cruiser who likes all the radio and other gizmo's on the dash whilst poodling about.

I would say most sports bike riders don't really concentrate on music whilst riding, they just listen to the sweet sound of their aftermarket exhaust. The sound system itself would have to be pretty impressive to out way the sound of the screaming bike along with the wind noise.

I'm not 'dissing' the idea, as it's a good one but I can imagine your target market being very difficult.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
You need a big windscreen to have enough still air for a sound system to work properly. Sportbikes tend to not have the necessary wind protection to get decent sound.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the input. i'v done setups localy at me shop and windscreen is no issue the speakers are located in the inside of the fairings in front of your knee so no wind noise can interfer. I always the reason why no one had music on there sportbike was more becasue noone came up with a affordable and reversible to stock application, We have done fiberglass pods and such but your stock with and wont beable to remove it after done these can be removed and transfered to another bike providing it has the same shape of inside of fairing. harleys run around with music why can sport bikes have that luxury as well. also I will be posting pics and video if there are more interested participates. thank you keep going on opinions.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
How does the sound get from my knee to my ear?

It needs to travel through still air to get there and into my helmet.

By way of example my phone can ring on my hip at full volume, I can barely hear it at 20kmh.

Harleys have giant windscreen on their bikes to make the necessary still air.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not a big fan of helmet speaker system because you cant here whats around you. usually the Harley's with the handlebar speakers have no windscreens. answer to speakers from your knees. sound excapes where ever it can. In this case it will come through under your instrument panel and from under the fairing panels. This is by no means a cell phone ringer.By not having direct speaker imaging your producing a type of sound wave similar to the Bose wave system the more objects it can bounce off of the larger the sound wave gets. I have a mock up of what it sounds like I may post a video of it even thou it was just a prototype of cardboard and fiberglass to see if it was gonna work. it was about 3 months ago now I'm having a blow mold company create the first real prototype and its due in on the 7th

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
1. Music on bikes is just annoying to everyone around, because it has to be so loud to even be heard, much less appreciated, over the bike/wind noise.

2. Riders should be wearing earplugs anyway, because even the wind noise alone at speed is loud enough to be bad for your ears.

I wear earplugs, and I listen to music on my Scala Rider G9 headset, with which I can also take calls, communicate with fellow riders, and hear GPS directions. All this without anybody around me having to hear any of it, and I can still hear what is going on around me as well (e.g. cars, horns, etc.).

As others have mentioned, I don't think you will find much of a market for it with sportbike riders.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok thanks mabey its not for everybody but I have 3 customers already enjoyig it and you can still here gps and take calls you just need to put a mic in your headset or you can toggle from earpiece to headphone jack. I will still post videos on the 7th A motorcycle speaker company is on board as of this morning waiting for the prototype thanks

·
Registered
941 Posts
I would not be interested in this product. However, the last time I turned on the radio in my car was to add load in order to perform an alternator stress test. I like tunes, but not when I'm riding/driving.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I am pretty big into sound systems in cars. I'm on my third build. I think this is a bad idea for sports bikes.
1) music will have to be fairly loud. Especially if you have an exhaust. This results in yet another way of disturbing the public for us bikers.
2) forget hearing it at high speeds. You would have to put it extremely loud, like super tweeters and powerful mids. The bikes electrical system won't deliver at high speeds, or sound will be distorted. I'd rather just listen to the sound of my bike at high speeds.
3) Back to the bike's electrical, it would put a strain on the electrical system.
4) I like my music with some bass. There would be no bass capable with a setup like this. It would be pure mids and highs. Even then, the highs would be more prominent than the mids. Meh.

I don't really see any advantages to a product like this for sports bikes except for the one advantage of listening at stop lights/intersections, but these locations are where I typically turn my system down to not bother other drivers/attract attention.

I like the fact that you put the time into getting feedback from actual sports riders though, it shows that you are doing the right market research for your products.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the educated response.

However since I have three similar setups in bikes now I can argue these points

1:I'm using a 320 watt motorcycle specific amp from clarion putting out 120 watts @ 2 ohms to achieve a 2 ohm resistance I coupled a Polk Audio 3.5 " and an additional 2 inch tweeter in parallel. i chose Polk Audio because they are water resistant and we use them in our boat and Harley applications.

2. Tested friends bike and 75 MPH on highway with evidence that music is crisp and clear. However I am with part way with bass. Because where I located and aimed the 3.5" driver it bounces off the inside of the bike and inside fender walls producing somewhat similar of a Bose wave system. You can feel the bass through the bike. but on a side note i am making another pod slightly bigger to house an additional 4 " sub woofer. Keep in mind you have one 3.5" and on 2 " tweeters on each side of you ( and possibly a 4 " driver ).

3. Because it is a motorcycle specific amp It will not drain that much. Again tests show no drop in voltage or amperage at 75 MPH

4. Like I said before the driver is going to sound more like a very high end computer speaker setup while not rattling your ears it will give you the feel. each driver needs .125 cubes. My pods are just that. When the time comes Im going to do Some more projects using the body of the motorcycle as the resonance sound wave.

5. Annoying the drivers around you is not going to happen They will still be able to hear you but because of where the speakers are aimed, only you will get the direct sound.

This isn't hypothetical I have proven it with a 2006 Suzuki sv650 and a Honda cbr. Now since I purchased a 2008 Kawasaki Ninja for myself I wanted to start the project with my own demo videos will be here soon. First mold will be done on the 7th .

Please keep up the good questions If there is anything I have not thought of I'm sure you guys will :)

Thanks

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I'm still skeptical, I would have to see/experience it in person.

For one, the stock alternator on a sportbike is maybe 25-35A max...take away at least half of that power leaves you with approx. 15A to power your audio system with. A TRUE 320-watt amp would require approx. 40A MINIMUM, which is almost three times what the bike can give (there are no 'exceptions' with power and amperage). I don't see how a system like this would get loud enough (without some distortion) at those kind of speeds.

Not trying to shoot holes in your product, just trying to understand how it would be efficient on a sports bike. IMO it wouldn't be ideal for this target market.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There is a internal fuse of 15 amps which in turn pruduces 150 watts at 4 ohms since im driving at 2 ohms the signal is greater also iv included a 4 v line driver to ingrease signal input since most of us will use a phone or something of that nature.the speakers are only driving driving at about 1/3 of what the amp can do. im only using the front channels when i add the 4" drivers I may run into the problem your skeptical about so i have a speaker company designing a very low wattage very sensitive speaker component set including 4 " sub driver basicaly in turn a 3 way component set. that will only drive 100 watts total. its not how many watts the speaker can handle its the design of the enclosue and the quality of the design of of the speakers. also since we are on the subject two days ago i built a internal amp board module to fit inside the pod putting out 100 watts so now instead of mounting the amp they will be internally amped.

thank you for bringing these issues to the panel
Having someone to comment and or compliment helps with bringing out things I may have or may have not thought of

thank you again

·
Registered
562 Posts
In theory this all sounds great, and is being discussed/argued from both angles with good comment, BUT...i really do think you're missing the point, which is "WHY" most of us have sports Bikes in the first place...We ride them for the fun of it!

As well as riding for the sheer fun of it (working on those chicken strips! lol) I commute a 70 mile round trip every day for work, but that's still only 45mins in traffic.
During this time I wear earplugs to protect my ears, but ultimately I LOVE the sound of my Scorpion exhaust (that's why i bought it - to listen to it!!)

Most of us are not out touring for hundreds of miles/hour after hour where we might appreciate the distraction of music.

The bikes (eg Goldwings) for this style of riding have already been adapted for music.

I occasionally where a quality set of 'in ear' Sennheiser noise cancelling phones when I ride with my 'Advanced Motorcycling' club, connected to my ipod, and that's more than enough for me...

From a technical point of view, I find it very interesting, and wish you every success with your project, but I think your real target audience (in the sport bike category) will be the same 'kids' who spend a small fortune on twinkling LEds. The guys/gals who spend more time standing around looking at their bikes, rather than actually riding them...

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
In theory this all sounds great, and is being discussed/argued from both angles with good comment, BUT...i really do think you're missing the point, which is "WHY" most of us have sports Bikes in the first place...We ride them for the fun of it!

As well as riding for the sheer fun of it (working on those chicken strips! lol) I commute a 70 mile round trip every day for work, but that's still only 45mins in traffic.
During this time I wear earplugs to protect my ears, but ultimately I LOVE the sound of my Scorpion exhaust (that's why i bought it - to listen to it!!)

Most of us are not out touring for hundreds of miles/hour after hour where we might appreciate the distraction of music.

The bikes (eg Goldwings) for this style of riding have already been adapted for music.

I occasionally where a quality set of 'in ear' Sennheiser noise cancelling phones when I ride with my 'Advanced Motorcycling' club, connected to my ipod, and that's more than enough for me...

From a technical point of view, I find it very interesting, and wish you every success with your project, but I think your real target audience (in the sport bike category) will be the same 'kids' who spend a small fortune on twinkling LEds. The guys/gals who spend more time standing around looking at their bikes, rather than actually riding them...
that's a very valid point :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is part of another convorsation on another forum
Everybody has great points and is helping with some more designs I'm working with

Thank you

Let me know what the final damage is. If the price is reasonable, I'll buy one and give you a review.

As to the rest of the debate: The restrictions on in-helmet audio systems vary from state to state and country to country. I like to have music when I ride, so getting something from inside the fairing seems like a reasonable approach.

Having noise cancelling earbuds that knock down the "ambient" noise is a reasonable idea - assuming they just knock out the ambient noise. If they are a violation in your state, using them for their prophylactic purpose (keeping you from hollering at everyone when you stop for gas) might be something that you could argue a cop out of a ticket for.

Adding to the noise level of your ride is a matter of considerable, and often contentious debate. There is more than enough anecdotal evidence to support whatever position you want to take. Personally, I'm more of middle ground person when it comes to the old saw "loud pipes save lives". I agree that hearing a bike before seeing it is a good thing, but the other side of the coin ("loud pipes annoy the neighbors") is something that needs to be taken into consideration. Adding a "Honda Blaster" to your bike so you can wake up the neighbors when you pull in from that show-and-shine at Twin Peaks isn't going to save your life.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So after some thought today I decided to make one of the older pods that I have been using on customers cars. My new pods will be much more uniform.

These pods hold a 2 " tweeter and 3.5" speaker with tweeter.

Let me know what you think il get some pics tomorrow with it installed on bike so you can evaluate the clearance

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Before speaker cutouts

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
Interesting. I enjoy both sides of motorcycling. I have a Honda VTX with a custom mounted Harley Street Glide fairing and Tsukayu Patrol bags. I'm just running a 4x50W head unit to two 4.5" and two 3" speakers. I love having music to listen to while commuting. I don't care for music while I ride my street fighter though. I used to use ear buds, but they cut out too much sound (emergency vehicles and such) and I discovered they're illegal to use in Va. I guess my feelings towards music changes depending what I'm riding, so I wouldn't be interested in this system personally (besides the fact my bike is naked and wouldn't properly accommodate such a system anyways). I look forward to seeing more of your designs though.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I will say i suppose its a unique and neat idea. Although i tend to agree that riders who blast outside music is pretty annoying. Not really any different then the 18 year old senior who gets his chevy cobalt all pimped out and puts two 14'' subs in the back with a 1600 watt amp and it sounds the screws are coming out of his car. I know motorcycles sounds systems arnt that loud but still very annoying. If you want to hear tunes, I put headphones in that have a mic/volume control and play and pause so if traffic is heavy i can turn it off, talk to other ppl via my phone, or buy a helmet with blu tooth in it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts