Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I have a friend who works for a turbo company (motorcycles) and he is trying to get me a turbo built for my bike. Building it really isnt the problem, but the owner of the company does not like to put them on 600s due to the power to weight ratio.

The minimum psi setting would be 8psi and the maximum would be around 26 psi. From my conversations with him It is my understanding that with each psi, you gain approximatly 7-10 Hspwr. So the minimum gain (hrspwr) i would get using the lowest possible psi would be an additional 56 horses (woooooooooohooooooooo).

The other reason he doesnt like putting them on 600cc bike is the average age of the riders, he told me that credit for teenage and early twenty year old riders is too easily obtained therebye making it to easy for everyone to get a turbo on there bikes so he is pretty particular on who he builds these turbos for due to the increasing danger when a turbo is put on a bike. He did a honda 600 last year, and ive seen video of the bike running at 256 MPH (ouch). So i can understand his concern about who he builds these things for. I convinced him that im an old man just playing with a fast toy:D.
Does anyone know of someone who has a turbo on a 600cc bike?

The main reason im looking into this option vs. getting into my motor is the cost difference isnt that great, and you could never get the horses out of a engine mod that you can out of a turbo. The daily riding characteristics does not change. the turbo can be set to kick in at different rpms, I would probly have mine kick in around 5500RPMS. Anywayz ill keep yall posted as i get more info. He told me it would be 4 months before he could even get started on it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
<div align="left">You aren't going to be able to add much boost to a stock compression motor. Even with an intercooler and race gas.

I have a video of a GSX-R600 Turbo..it's a wheelie machine in any gear, at pretty much any sane speed.

Since you're in TX, I can only imagine that your turbo guy works for Mr. Turbo. I'm not going to denigrate their product, but if they're still using the RayJay turbos, they have been surpassed by a number of more efficient models for bikes and other applications.

I am not totally talking out of my a** here. I have two GS1150 based turbo dragbikes. I really only want one, but the second bike was almost given to me by a friend that was getting out of drag racing.

I live in New Hampshire. There is a guy in Maine, CM Performance
http://www.cmperformance.com/biketuning.html#cbr600C that offered turbo kits for CBR600s. I do not know anything about their the current state of development.

The GSX-R was a custom build, and it was likely a product of either Andersson Turbosystems, or MCXpress as the video was shot in Norway, and both of these manufacturers are based in Sweden.

Proper turbo sizing is a trade-off between all-out horsepower and acceptable spool time. There are companies that have web calculators to get you in the ballpark. Then talk to their tech. guys about your application.

Being an injected bike, you'll need to discern what the flow rate of your injectors are, and most likely either add a second set, or a set with a substantially higher lb/hr rating to flow the extra fuel. A different or additional fuel pump is likely as well. Count on a way to retard your timing as well for best performance, and to keep your pistons free of holes.

Once you've got a handle on these issues, you'll need to lower your compression. This can be done via a spacer(mickey mouse) or with special turbo pistons.

After all these issues are suitably taken care of, fab up the header, intake plenum, air piping -- and intercooler stuff if you're going for real power -- and assemble.

It's not rocket science, but unless a kit is available, there are a few things that you'll have to figure out on your own, or pay someone to do -- I'm a DIY type.

FWIW, the likely power to weight ratio of a turboed 600 is likely to be LOWER than a liter+ bike. This is due to the simple fact that your 600 bottom end wasn't meant to handle the heavy torque and HP loads that a larger production motorcycle would produce. Hence a liter+ bike should be able to successfully handle more boost.

My advice is to try it if you have all the resources to do it right, and best bang for your buck isn't your primary motivation.

If not, save lots of money and time by buying a ZX-10, or 12 and have a real option of turboing, or adding nitrous to the bike without scattering the bottom end. (this route has been R&D'd as well)</div id="left">

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
BS, BS, BS. A 180HP liter bike ways just a hair more and only costs ~$2000 more than a 600. He needs to come up with some better excuses.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.