Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still trying to make my bike different in some way. what do you guys think about strapping on a turbo, or supercharger either way. any clues to the dollar value of it all? will the engine just die if i get one on there? Is the whole idea just stupid? do tell me if you think im being silly. i ride a 1996 ZX6r, probly get a newer ninja first for an easy upgrade in horsies before begging my psi love affair.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Any motor can take the added strain of a forced induction system (within reason). The compression ratio (CR) of a motorcycle is fairly high and forced induction and high CR dont get along too well. That being said if you fitted a turbocharger and a small intercooler and progrmamble fuel injection (Microtech, EMS etc) and ran say 4 PSI you would transform a zx6r into an absoulute beast. Only problem would be getting a turbo small enough to boost up quickly on a 600cc motor but could still flow enough exhaust at higher revs and not have overboosting problems. I recon a something a little smaller than a garret T2 with a BB core would do the job.

Can you tell I like turbo's and contemplating the same on my 01 zx ;)

Gareth

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
The compression issue could be minimized but using "dish" pistons... But you guys are looking at a HUGE cost. Especially if you cinsider that the gains would be minimal when compaired to the same modifications on a liter bike (R1, Hyabusa, etc). But, to each his own I suppose...

·
Registered
107 Posts
My suggestion: Use the money you would spend on a turbo or supercharger for an upgrade. Then if you want more ponies look for something to satisfy your PSI love affair.

The new ZX6R and ZX6RR look the biscuits.
I have not ridden a 96 and an '03 back to back, so I cannot comment on the difference between the two, maybe someone here can help with that comparison.

If you want awsome power wait for the ZX10R and dare I say it the new Honda CBR998RR. But, being a Kawazaki fan I would stick with the 10R ;), or even try the ZX12R. I think the 12R doesn't get the wrap it deserves in the press. I don't see as much write ups on the 12R as I see for the GSXR1000 or R1, but the 12R seems to be an awsome bike though.

Anyway good luck and don't forget to let us know what you end up doing with your bike.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.